Author Topic: Replaced Starter Motor, What To Do With The Old One?  (Read 1673 times)

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
Replaced Starter Motor, What To Do With The Old One?
« on: June 03, 2019, 18:43:13 »
I had starter motor problems so I replaced the original with a new Bosch model as suggested by anyone who had the same problem....I got it in and then discovered I had an "NSS" problem which was ultimately a loose connection.  Now that it is all working, I am in total agreement with everyone that said "just replace the starter motor, you will be glad you did"..and I am glad...huge difference in starting!

Now, what to do with the replaced starter motor?  Should I just chuck it or is there a better option?  I am not sure it is even bad...could have been the loose NSS connection.

Open to hear the group's thoughts.

250SL Franco

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: Replaced Starter Motor, What To Do With The Old One?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 20:55:00 »
So many options:
-Go get it rebuilt and put it on the shelf in your garage so you have one on hand that is ready to go if you need (or for a visiting friend).
-Put it on the shelf as a "core" incase you need a rebuild (should be worth at least $50)
-give to starter motor rebuilder as a gift (or future considerations as these guys are great to have as friends)
-sell it on craigslist as a core ($50)
-offer it to someone on this list for cost of shipping and a case of beer

I don't have a spare starter motor but I have two fuel injection pumps that will be sent to the rebuilder incase I ever need my injection pump rebuilt. I paid less than core value for each pump and in the meantime they look great sitting on the wall. 

Just consider the starter up on your shelf as a picture of Ulysses S. Grant.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 21:18:54 »
All good options...especially trade for a case of beer!  The new one was so much better and so reasonably priced I don't think I would go to the old one as a back up.
Thanks for your response.
250SL Franco

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 13:25:48 »
Have it rebuilt and keep it as a backup. My original is rebuilt and sitting on the shelf just in case.
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 22:41:08 »
I would keep it also.