Author Topic: Weeping Fuel Pump  (Read 1286 times)

mclewis

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Saddle River
Weeping Fuel Pump
« on: May 23, 2019, 22:54:40 »
After having an oil change on my automatic 1968 280SL (VIN 870), I was advised by the mechanic that the fuel pump, which I believe is original and currently is working fine, is starting to “weep” a bit. And now, so am I.  There are no signs of fuel leaking on the floor under the car, just dampness in the bottom of the protective cover.

I have neither the technical ability nor the tools to rebuild the pump myself.  Both the “long” style fuel pump and the newer “short” style pump currently are unavailable.  It seems I have a couple of options: (1) find someone to rebuild my pump and forego driving for a while, (2) purchase a rebuilt long pump from a reputable source, (3) purchase a rebuilt short pump from a reputable source and the necessary hardware to replace my long pump, or (4) search for a NOS pump, long or short.

Is there any advantage to the “long” versus the “short”?  I know that there is at least one Member that rebuilds the short pumps, but I have not been able to find anyone who rebuilds the long pumps.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Marc Lewis
1968 280SL 728H/728H, 248, 746
2020 C300
2021 E450 All Terrain

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
Re: Weeping Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:19:41 »
Due to the expenses associated with buying either pump, I personally would rebuild. The time out of service as you mention is the only down side. Having had our short pump apart to clean it (after many years of sitting), if there is no need to go into the electric motor to change the brushes (adds complexities associated with the electrical connections), replacing seals, cleaning screen etc, is a pretty straight forward process. Authentic Classics has seal kits (other vendors might as well).

Sorry I have no insight long vs short pumps.

wayne R

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 10:49:37 »
mclewis, What i would do before spending alot of money,
inspect  the pump properly,  first remove the cover and  very carefully
inspect the hoses connected to the pump.specially  where the hoses bend before
the connection at pump, the german fuel hoses that have the  thin canvas cover
over rubber are very hard to find where they leak,and alot of times these are actually
the proplem and they crack on the ends and fuel then runs back down on hose if very old
and rotting.  This is an easy job  to do, but be aware of safety when  working close to fuel. regards.

mclewis

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Saddle River
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 13:54:43 »
Thank you for the advice.  I will try to take a closer look at the pump and fuel lines this weekend.
Marc Lewis
1968 280SL 728H/728H, 248, 746
2020 C300
2021 E450 All Terrain

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 14:32:16 »
Might want to also check the  bleeder screw...it is a crush washer and screw and over time might come slightly loose... it will drip down the side and pool at the bottom plate making people think the bottom plate is leaking.
Bob
Baronyoungman@hotmail.com
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"