Author Topic: top frame problem_pivot screw  (Read 1392 times)

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
top frame problem_pivot screw
« on: May 22, 2019, 21:42:37 »
Hello experts,

While replacing the weatherstripping around the passenger window I noticed this problem with one of the top frame pivot points. Obviously the pivot screw in the photos  has backed off several turns. It would be impossible to tighten
it up since it is a "staked" fastener. The countersunk head looks a little weird also. Tamper-proof fastener heads did not exist when these cars were designed. Not sure what's going on there- - - .

I tried to close the gap with a "C" clamp but since there is a serious misalignment and also a heavy shear load on the screw, that did not work.

Any body got any bright ideas?  I know Gernold will know what to do, but thought I would throw it out here first.

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

wayne R

Re: top frame problem_pivot screw
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:53:41 »
Hi Larry noticed  no one replyed,  so thought i may be able to help.
The bolt connections on your top,like the photo you show,have to be
removed , that is loosen and taken out, then you have to clamp together and retighten
or renew,-then rebolt while it is clamped.
TO do this a big help is to remove the the lower main connection bolts at front by door,
both sides, leave top in place, but place a couple of blocks of wood or  similiar about
2 or 3 inches lower , before starting  on upper bolts.
Also , go to our forum items for sale, see---sead june 13th he has sets for sale.
regards Wayne.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:50:16 by wayne R »