Author Topic: clear coating anodized parts  (Read 1586 times)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
clear coating anodized parts
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:57:12 »
hello
i purchased some new anodized lines for my 66 230 and was thinking about clear coating them prior to installing them.

After 50 years the old lines ended up rusting and i would like to prevent the same from happening to the new ones.

any thoughts ?

thanks Matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: clear coating anodized parts
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 15:06:35 »
Anodized is a process that is usually used on aluminum. You say they have rusted, so I assuming they are steel. Which lines are these? If they are steel like the injection lines, they are more likely plated with either zinc or CAD.

Yes, I use clear on plated zinc or CAD surfaces. My favorite is a clear spray made for engines which has a high temp rating and is fuel and oil proof. This will prolong the life of the coating although will slightly alter its appearance. That may be an issue with a concours car, but not one for the rest of us. The finish will be glossy if applied as normal. So what I like to do is apply a couple of light coats and then finish with a dusting. This will still protect but will give it a satin finish. Be sure to let the clear dry in between coats. I do that on just about every plated part on my car. My 2 cents worth.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 15:55:32 »
Wallace
hi,
I have new injection ines (6) Css line,  vacuum line from intake manifold to IP and then the coolant pipe from reservoir to the front of the block.

Thank you for the reply
matt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 13:01:57 by merrill »
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 15:30:31 »
I use a light coat of Nyalic which is the clear urethane coating Airstream puts on their Aluminum trailers. Available in cans online when applied lightly and evenly it is undetectable.