Author Topic: Seat Adjuster Knob does not fit my car....very weird...  (Read 1859 times)

swithland

Seat Adjuster Knob does not fit my car....very weird...
« on: April 10, 2019, 04:57:27 »
Ive a 1964 230SL. Generally a nice car but when I bought it, it came with no seat angle adjuster knobs. The guy down in London promised to supply some, but never did and kept saying he could not get any !! So ive ordered knobs but they dont seem to fit as the holes in the knobs are too small. Im beginning to wonder if the bar that comes out of the seat to take the knob is even for a Pagoda !!

Does anyone have any ideas about this....im well confused...

Pics are attached.

Many thanks
Charles

Anthony

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Belgium, Flanders, Deerlijk
    • www.classic-mercedes-parts.com
Re: Seat Adjuster Knob does not fit my car....very weird...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:25 »
For the 230SL there are 2 different models of the knobs, the fitting is different. I sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:18:13 by Anthony »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:58 »
Note - there is an extensive report on the different seat configurations in Pagoda World No 18
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

EeVeeWee

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Leusden
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:34:48 »
This is the shape of the seat adjuster bar from my 230SL 1965.

Again something else.

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 17:01:57 »
Charles to answer you questions directly - Your seat's rod end has a chunk missing at the end!
There are two seat adjuster types, of which one has serrated axle (see EeVeeWee's picture) end and the other ends with a square. Consequently, the rollers are different.

To help better, please provide a picture of the other seat roller you got there - I believe I have a good idea what you have there, however there is a chance someone swapped the seats with a newer style and I would not want to lead you in a wrong direction.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

Lotus211

• Junior Level
  • New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:17 »
Im trying to dismantle my seats, and Im having difficulty removing the seat adjust rod, what is the secret?
1964 Mercedes 230SL

swithland

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 05:51:32 »
Wow , this looks totally different to mine !!

swithland

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:01 »
Im out of town right now, but on my return I will dismantle and remove the seat adjusters and take some better photos. If there is a chunk missing then im thinking i can probably mig an extra piece on the end and grind to the square profile so that the bottom type of seat adjuster that you have shown will fit....unless I can get hold of a splined piece of bar to weld into place....does anyone know where I could buy some steel splined bar ?

swithland

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:17:16 »
Ive had an idea ( doesn't happen often lol )...see attached image of a cheap splined tool set. Im thinking of buying this set and chopping the ends off and welding them onto the end of the seat adjuster bars and grinding smooth.....so the correct seat adjuster knob will fit.....Seems like a cheap option if the splined tool set fits !! Any other ideas would be appreciated..