Author Topic: Taking a Pagoda over to Germany to Drive for a Temporary Period  (Read 1638 times)

ChrisZeiss

Dear Colleagues-in-Pagodas,

I've been toying with the idea of taking my Pagoda (230SL Europe Vs. Man.4 Spd) "back" to Germany and Europe for a month or two of driving in its native environment - however, I haven't a clue what all (and how it) would need to be arranged to drive the car over there - coming from Canada, or North America, and I suspect some of you Pagoda Owners may have already done this kind of thing. So, may I ask - about

1. Customs and Registration - can one get a temporary "bonded" license - so as not to formally "import" and then "export" the car again ?
2. Insurance - is it possible to get a month or 6 weeks of insurance coverage for Europe ? Which insurance provider ?
3. Technical Inspection - does one have to have the car technically inspected (by TÜV in Germany, for example) ? and
4. Any other hidden tripwires or barriers that would make this proposition expensive, time consuming or a simple cluster ?

Thanks for any advice or tips you may have,

Chris Zeiss
1966 230SL Claret Red, Europe Vs. Man. 4Spd
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Taking a Pagoda over to Germany to Drive for a Temporary Period
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:17:49 »
Read this topic https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=28876 and get in touch with Rolf Dieter.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 21:47:33 »
Also you might want to reach out to Tom.
He’s done this more than once with his car - I think he used “Cars International” for the European event in Provence last September
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ChrisZeiss

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 00:04:11 »
Thanks for the re-direct to "Tom"

Sorry, but which "Tom" ?

Thanks

Chris Zeiss
Edmonton, Alberta

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 00:29:44 »
Just do a Member search under Tom.   he is in VA.  Suggest sending him a PM as he has done it several times.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric