Author Topic: Positive camber  (Read 1500 times)

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Positive camber
« on: April 03, 2019, 18:50:23 »
Hello guys, I’m in the process the replace the differential mount on the trunk of the car and I would like to know if this can affect the camber. Is it going to be more positive Or maybe more negative?
 My car has a slightly positive camber like almost all pagodas. Thank you
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Re: Positive camber
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 15:53:50 »
Anybody here?
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 17:19:48 »
Quote from: mauro12
.../...affect the camber. Is it going to be more positive Or maybe more negative?
The spec for our SL cars is -1 degree of camber on the rear wheels, i.e. slightly out at the top of the tire. See official factory photo attached.
Changing the rubber mount in the trunk will most likely raise the diff on your car, which will affect rear wheel angle.
The rubber rings under your rear springs and the position of the plates there is the method for adjusting the rear wheel camber. Well explained in the workshop manual (BBB) and the Book of Tables.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:33:46 by mbzse »
/Hans S

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:49:00 »
In simple terms.
The cars have a swing axle which means the axle is in two rigid halves that pivot in the middle.
The middle of the axle is suspended from a point on the chassis by a rubber mounting via a vertical connecting rod.
The condition of the rubber mount effectively changes the length of the vertical rod and any change in the length of that rod will result in a change in the angle of pivot in the axle hinge.
For the rear wheels to have zero camber there must be zero deviation from horizontal of the two axle halves. As soon as the halves rotate about the central pivot point then camber changes at the wheels.