Author Topic: Spotted on Facebook  (Read 4841 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Spotted on Facebook
« on: March 30, 2019, 19:55:54 »
Some of friendly Polnisch Friends got together at a Car Wash ... Did you give yours thst Spring Wash yet?

:) Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: Spotted on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 12:32:15 »
It's hilarious. Shortly after the Iron Curtail came down, you were not allowed to drive a Luxury rental car to certain countries in Europe. Poland was one of them. No Mercedes, BMW or other "sought after by thieves" car allowed to take across the borders. When I went to Germany for a trip and planned to go to Italy, I had to make sure I would get a car that was approved.
Had to change from a Benz to a Volvo once and drove to Florence. In the parking lot of our hotel, there I was with the shabbiest car. All others big German luxury cars with Italian plates... ::)

What is the one color in the picture, looks like a "burnt orange". Really nice.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 13:11:47 »
The Berlin wall fell down some time after communism ended. End of the 80-ies and 90-ies were crazy years when the communist law enforcement did not work already and the new law enforcement have not really started yet. Poland was full of Russian mafias and local mafias. Car ownership was a challenge. You could be spotted while waiting on the traffic lights, gun to your head - you just gave the car away. I know about cases of shaking the parked car to trigger alarm to smoke out the owner - then gun to your head and vehicle sale agreement presented to sign. Most of the stolen luxury cars made it behind the easter boarder of Poland within 3-4hours (depending on theft location).

Our club (Artur) organized the visit to car wash. The car wash were presenting a new type of ceramic coating and offered washing the cars. I were to join, but my hood was removed from the car on Friday for corrections.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 13:13:59 »
By the way, when your bonnet (hood) is off, you can take some cool pictures...
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 15:18:14 »
Very nice engine Pawel!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 17:00:35 »
When the wall came down and I visited Germany I drove from West to East Germany on the Autobahn. There was no need to know when you actually crossed from west to east, your car suspension would let you know. The autobahn on the east side was in such poor condition that you just had to slow down or you ended up in the ditch.

I visited the city of my birth Magdeburg. Parked the car in the main town square in that I thought was a safe location. It was a VW Beatle. When I came back the car was damaged someone keyed the car all around. The police were of no help other than filling out a report.

On my way back to the west sector there was a complete stop on the autobahn. People would actually get out from there cars and start conversations. It was a hot day so I stayed in my car with the air conditioning on. It did not take long that people started to stare at me and I was wondering why. When I decided to get out to see what was wrong it became clear why the did stare at me, my car was the only one with the motor running, everyone else shut there engine off. So I quickly did as well LOL. The complete standstill on the autobahn lasted for about 20 minutes at that time. Apparently, that was normal at the time.

My American Express Card covered the damage on the car.

They are some of the early memories returning home.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 19:46:15 »
Very nice engine Pawel!

I find it hard to imagine to receive a nicer compliment.
Thank you!
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 19:57:36 »
When the wall came down ...
They are some of the early memories returning home.

I remember you were mentioning your beetle and this adventurous trip.

These freeways in DDR (East Germany) were about the only freeways you could spot in the Eastern block (Czech Republic had some as well). In Poland practically the only piece of existing freeway was Wroclaw - Legnica, south west - a reminder of a German autobahn that just happened to be in Poland as the country boarders were moved to the West after WW II and we took part of Germany. As you know these freeways were very modern in the 30ies, built of concrete by Hitler's administration. It is just that nobody has repaired nor modernized them for 40-50 years.

Sorry about the beetle damage....
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:45 »
A Beetle with a/c  ???.. That must have been a rarity!
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 13:42:22 »
Mike,

It was the summer of 1990 when I first returned to East Germany after leaving it in 1953 as a teanager. The VW i picked up in Frankfurt had a/c I rented it just because I found the a/c rare (I had one in Montreal a 1961 model without a/c).

Dieter

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 15:02:21 »
Dieter is correct, some beetles(old ones) came with an optional A/C.
I am currently selling on EBay, the A/C control cluster for under the dash with the sensor wire and some wires.
Came out of a super beetle.

Walter