Author Topic: About a Forum  (Read 10198 times)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
About a Forum
« on: March 19, 2019, 22:24:37 »
Something I would like to get off my chest:

I look at "forums" as a place to exchange information, share knowledge and in this process, maybe get help or help others.

In many forums that I frequently frequent ( ::)) I ever so often run into situations where the "seasoned" members respond to a question with a link to some place where the person who asked may find an answer.
I realize that these "oldtimers" are getting tired of answering the same question over and over, but...
If you know the answer to a question, it takes you the same time to just post it, as it takes you to copy and paste a link!
Like many others, I really, really DO NOT like to use the search function and comb through hundred posts to find something I am looking for.
If you do not want to help and rather show your expertise by telling someone where to look, please don't respond.
You will lose potential new members and others interested in the same subject of your passion.
My 2¢.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Re: About a Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 22:46:38 »
Mike,

A link would give you access to a comprehensive set of information rather than writing it all over again and risk losing some important content.
From the site management standpoint, it is better to have one good place where one particular information is stored than to have them at twenty different places which in some instances may even contradict each other (as they may be written by different members with different level of expertise).

Hope this gives you some context. Cheers and enjoy searching the forum. There is a wealth of information already there, especially if you join as a Full Member...
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 14:02:22 »
I think your correct in a way Mike. The inter-action between members also keeps the forum healthy and forms bonds. Posting links does save time and adds additional information.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 15:42:12 »
I also think posting a link exposes that person to the larger world of info on this site that they may not know exists. Plus, who is to say that the person answering is remembering the info correctly? We are all getting older and things tend to slip your mind. The tech info in the manual doesn't change as with failing memories.

There are maybe those who are annoyed by answering the same question over again. But if so annoyed, why would they spend their time answering at all? I think most on this site who post links are trying to be helpful and guide the person to the promise land of eternal Pagoda tech information.

And becoming a full member helps to keep this site open for business and maintain the tech manual for all.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 01:12:06 »
There are thousands of posts on these forums and, indeed, searching is not always effective. A reply with a link in it seems reasonable if the answer requires a lot of detail.

One improvement might be to re-think the titles of the forums and the way the subject areas are broken down. If folks could agree on a more sensible alignment of subject areas, it might feel dizzy for the first little while but, before long, a new alignment might clear up a lot of confusion.

The other idea is to start a massive overhaul of the Technical Manual. Any question that gets answered more than twice in the forums, really belongs in the Technical Manual. The content structure of the Technical Manual seems pretty sensible to me, but almost no updates occur there.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 13:57:55 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:53:53 »
The other idea is to start a massive overhaul of the Technical Manual. Any question that gets answered more than twice in the forums, really belongs in the Technical Manual. The content structure of the Technical Manual seems pretty sensible to me, but almost no updates occur there.
Peter,
adding more to the manual makes a lot of sense, the question is, of course, who will do it? 
Take a look here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChanges
and scan threw the changes. What you find is that about 75% of the manual was written by a dozen (+/-) individuals; believe me, after awhile, one looses interest being almost alone out there.
If we can convince all of those who dream of, or wish, or request - or even demand - more from the manual to first write up a substantive contribution to it then it might be possible to get to this somewhat ideal state eventually.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:56 »
Let me say first “Mike raises a good question” However, our forum is already a great site, one of the best when I compare it to some others that are on the net.

Everyone responding so far to Mike’s question and or concerns makes good points. In another forum, Mike’s post may have already turned into a back and forth argument. Trust me, I know, I’ve belonged to such forums. The way members are responding to Mike here bears witness to ...

“Just what a great forum this already is”

Yes, improvements can always be made and they have been made over the years in this forum. Much time has been devoted by a few Members here to make it so. For most on there minds has always been “The Forum / Site is not only about our cars, it’s foremost about people” in the past 30 years (before I made my company a holding company and no longer provided service to my Customers), my desk always had this little stone (see attached image) on my desk. No additional words are necessary to further elaborate on the attached image. It is well known that there are more followers than leaders. Members that have shaped this forum to what it is are in my mind Great Leaders and do deserve our sincere thanks for building and shaping this site over the years. Remember, it all started way back then by a handful of individuals, devoting their time and effort to make the site what it is today.

Now, there is always room for improvements. And one of our new Directors has taken on the task to construct a Membership Survey asking for input from the Membership.

See here ——> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=28765.0

I am sure once Alex has a chance to sort thru all the responses some good points of the survey will be discussed by the Directors that will lead to more work for many.

I am guilty (since joining in 2013) of posting links. My reasoning for this was primarily to point the way to some of the newcomers to our site. It took me quite a while to familiarize myself with the site when I originally joined ... therefore when I served as Membership Director ((2016 to 2018), I started this thread here, primarily to point the way for new members and to let existing members know that a new member joined in there area or state.i am referring to this thread ....

Here ——> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=23684.0

Back to topic. We already have a great cross-section reference with Pagoda World and Pagoda Notes. Indexes have been prepared to help you go thru them and find a topic that has been detailed in the past, worked on and resolved. Perhaps in time, there will be someone stepping forward and compiling the indexes into a database that can be sorted to quirky find something one is looking for. Our Technical manual is already organized in great detail where one can find stuff quickly there already.

Perhaps as time goes by someone will organize a database that can be sorted by subject discussed, structured like our Member dataBase. Then that is a lot of work for some and might be little work for another.

In the end, it all comes down to stepping forward and volunteering to take on some of the tasks. I do hope it will never become too easy to find stuff and that interaction of our members is maintained. As said this is what it is all about, people helping people that they become friends.

Happy Top-Down Motoring to All (knocking hard on wood) :)

Dieter
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:24:14 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37:12 »

I agree with Wallace, and fully endorse Alfred's comments.

I must admit to having been very lazy in not adding much to the Tech manual after posting technichal replies (with links) to questions,

so I shall certainly try and do better in the future.

This is a brilliant Forum, it has expanded my circle of Pagoda knowledge and friendship in the real and virtual world.

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)