Author Topic: Nice red 230SL 4-speed on Auction tomorrow (March1) in North Carolina  (Read 3989 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Go to proxibid.com and search for it.
It is not my car, nor do I know the owner or anything about the car other than what is in the ad.
Joe
Colorado Springs

Chris_ATL

Re: Nice red 230SL 4-speed on Auction tomorrow (March1) in North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 16:39:23 »
There's also one wit ha reasonable guide price at Bonhams Amelia island

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25219/lot/208/

Except whem you read this.... " Today this lovely 230SL presents in largely original and unrestored condition, retaining much of its original interior and brightwork, and probably treated to just one light respray years ago. "

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 20:52:49 »
I always wondered ... does a "light-respray" mean they just hold the paint-gun farther back? Or possibly "we didn't take the time and expense to remove the chrome and bring to the body to bare metal, we just masked everything off and painted over what was there"? 

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 23:47:06 »
I think it means that it doesn't have 20 coats of paint on it but that doesn't mean that its one paint job was done right. Kind like a hundred other nebulous deceptions for old cars that really don't mean anything.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
There's also one wit ha reasonable guide price at Bonhams Amelia island

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25219/lot/208/

Except whem you read this.... " Today this lovely 230SL presents in largely original and unrestored condition, retaining much of its original interior and brightwork, and probably treated to just one light respray years ago. "

So they can take 24 pictures of the interior of the car but only 3 of the engine bay (at a distance, must be "lightly photographed") and none of the underside. 
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
notice the rear view mirror mounted on the fender?
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

Chris_ATL

The more i look at that car the more i shudder...

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
notice the rear view mirror mounted on the fender?

This is a period "Green Dot" Talbot mirror from Germany.  In recent weeks we have been treated to period photos of 230SLs delivered with no exterior mirrors.  Talbots were a very fashionable European sports car accessory in the '60s and early '70s and were often dealer installed. 
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
It is not a nice car, what appears to be cadmium plating on the engine is all poorly spray painted. The valve cover and intake are also poorly spray painted silver.
1969 280SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
So they can take 24 pictures of the interior of the car but only 3 of the engine bay (at a distance, must be "lightly photographed") and none of the underside. 

I agree that there are way too many versions of basically the same shot, and a limited variety of detail shots.  That said, the photos presented must be very high resolution images, because the zoom function on the Bonham's site reveals excellent sharp close-in detail. 

All in all, the car is honestly presented, warts and all.  If I was being picky, there must have been water leaking into the trunk at some point and I might investigate the somewhat amateur looking silicone sealant around one of the tail lights.  I'd like to know where the unfused fairly heavy gauge wire that is secured crudely under the positive terminal clamp bolt is running and what it is powering.  The interior has nice patina and exhibits a pair of reasonably well preserved original tan rubber foot well liners.  At some point broken red/blue gray early style heater levers were replaced with later black levers.  The glove box door appears to have been incorrectly fitted upon reassembly of the dash - or it has been distorted by some sort of impact.  My biggest concern with the car as presented is what appears to be a twisted driver's seat back frame.  The original leather upholstery has settled into that seat back's current distortion over the decades and may not take kindly to correction.  The tear in the driver's seat bottom may respond to sympathetic repair by an expert. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 21:44:44 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
I wonder what Paul Bracq thinks of the chrome fender trim, ugh.  Car looks pretty tired to me, but I covet those original rubber floor mats .....
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX