Author Topic: Taillight assembly process  (Read 1655 times)

Direct Connection 605

Taillight assembly process
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:29:55 »
I’ve just received new taillight chrome bezels, lenses and reflectors. The new lenses have four tabs on them, which don’t allow the reflectors to sit flush against them. As the cost of these is huge, I’m not keen on stuffing it up!
Do I carefully grind off the tabs and then glue everything together, or is there another process?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Chris

wayne R

Re: Taillight assembly process
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:16:13 »
Hi Chris , i have sent you my ph no, give me a call and i will help you   Wayne.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 22:22:13 »

Which kind of taillights do you have?
The early style - all red lenses?

And all the parts you have got are new (reproduction) parts?

Just trying to understand ....

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

antonio martinez

• Junior Level
  • Spain, Balearic Islands, palma de mallorca
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 07:06:02 »
is very interested for somebody...
regards

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 15:51:48 »
Could someone post the process? I'd like to know how this is done before I buy the parts.
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

Direct Connection 605

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:36:36 »
I bought all the parts new, chrome bezel, lens, reflector and seal. Very expensive! Ended up gluing the lens to the bezel, needed the help of clamps as they’re not a perfect fit. I didn’t use to much silicone just enough to glue them together, helps keep it cleaner. Next day it was obvious the four tabs left on the new lens won’t allow the reflector sit properly. I carfully grinded them flush, then I siliconed the internal join of the lens and bezel to make a nice smooth surface for the seal to sit against later. Note didn’t fit the seal until silicone was dry. Then fitted the seal and fitted lights to car. Had a problem with the seal protruding from the bezel on tightening the nuts. Looked terrible against the white body, so after a few refits I carefully sliced the seal around the edges so it wouldn’t squeeze out after tightening. Reckon the whole process took me 10 hours on both lights, very fiddly process, not to mention the cost of replacement if I made a mistake!
Cheers
Chris