Author Topic: My Restoration  (Read 3446 times)

hauser

My Restoration
« on: February 18, 2019, 04:03:17 »
Gernold has a slide show of my restoration on his website.  It will show how to rid the undercarriage of Ziebart.

http://www.sltechw113.com/restoration-slideshow-1969-280SL.html

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
Re: My Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 16:33:17 »
Wow, what a great project, done so well. The car looks wonderful. Congratulations to you, Gernold, and all of the craftsmen involved!
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 17:41:21 »
Hi Jim,

What a wonderful Restauration, it was a pleasure to watch all the hard work Gerald made there what a project. What would be the ball park number for such a first class Restauration? I like the armrest he put in for you :)

Best Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

hauser

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 18:49:57 »
Thank you both!

The armrest,  first started out as a picture of an ebay item.  I then made one from cardboard with using the same footprint as our console box.  Once I was satisfied with the look and function I took it to a buddy of mine who does cabinetry for a living.  He made one out of southern oak plywood which looked really good but then was informed by Madeira Concepts it wouldn't hold up in the long run.  They made one out of German plywood for car interiors.

It's very functional as an armrest along with extra storage! It may not be correct but I'm very happy with it.  Gernold liked it too!