Author Topic: Disklok Steering Wheel Lock  (Read 2793 times)

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Disklok Steering Wheel Lock
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:02 »
I am intending to buy one of these as further security for my car:

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/disklok/?gclid=CjwKCAjwj8bPBRBiEiwASlFLFb5G0AXH0-hmKDfuCPO3pwrhyw6z89PA2_FPBwr894YZQdgrTPQJoBoCToAQAvD_BwE

We are hundreds of miles apart at the moment. Would anyone be able to help me with the diameter of the steering wheel for a '66 230SL

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Disklok Steering Wheel Lock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:12 »
Hi,
here you find the technical information about our steering wheels: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/SteeringWheel.
The diameter is 42,5 cm for all wheels.
...WRe

AGT

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:12:48 »
Thank you.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 01:11:13 »

44 cms across (horizontal)
and 42.5 cm from top to down (vertical).
8)

Steering wheels are a bit flattened towards the driver's knees for better clearance.

Not necessary as is for the sedans but urgently necessary for the SLs (113) if you asked me...
 :o

A.
Achim
(Germany)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 13:59:49 »
The number of RangeRovers and Disco’s in places like Chelsea wearing Disklocks is unreal.

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Wigston
  • 1970 280SL Papyrus White / Red
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 13:12:09 »
I am considering purchasing one of these as well. Is there any feedback on use please?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 12:19:01 »
Every security device for any car has its pluses and minuses.

This device may prevent a car from being driven but not stolen. Pros would have a Pagoda on a hook or flatbed in seconds, and hauled away.

Hidden switches disabling the fuel pump have always done a good job of preventing the car from being started.

Our cars are specific and rare enough that my guess is they are destined for a chop shop, not a joy ride.

I’m thinking a GPS tracker would at least let you know where the car is.

Take a look at Apple AirTags. In the USA they are $29. As long as the car is anywhere near any iPhone, it’s tracked. 😉

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 13:51:48 »
Hi Michael,

I was curious about the Airtag and looked it up. I found this in a PCMag review:

"A prime concern about AirTags and other tiny tracking devices is that they will be used to track people, not devices... To address this, the Find My app will alert you on your Apple device if it detects a AirTag not attached to your Apple ID—and separated from its owner—traveling with you. You're then given the option to disable that AirTag, or to play a sound so you can locate it. "

Sounds like a thief with an iPhone would be able to find/disable the Airtag if they were aware of the possibility there might be one in the car.

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 16:26:35 »
You might be giving a thief too much credit; remember if they’re stealing your car they’re pretty brainless and taking a lot of risks.

There’s a very strong possibility that a stolen car with an air tag might be in the vicinity of dozens if not more iPhones; they are ubiquitous. There’s also nothing anything like this for android phones. And nothing of any kind even resembling these for $29.

It’s an option because goodness knows people will complain about the cost of a true GPS tracker in the car and the annual fee that this entails… yes people complain about possible theft but they also complain about the price of security…

A thief looking for money is going to do the easy things like cut off catalytic converters or take parts off Toyotas which are extremely easy to move. Almost every nice car these days comes with true alloy wheels and they are easy to move on the black market. They can also be stolen in moments.

There’s only so much security you can do and only so many things you can worry about…

That’s why we have good insurance. 😉
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

roberhofer

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, BERKELEY
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 00:01:01 »
Seems a little overkill. What would worry me is where to store it.
I have something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Club-1102-Steering-Wheel-Lock/dp/B000JILNAY and it works fine. Plus it stores without problem behind the driver seat not taking any space.
In the end the thief has to break the lock. Probably the same effort in both cases, so why bother with the bulk.

AGT

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 19:59:18 »
The Disklok and a tracker serve different purposes.  The Disklok is to dissuade the thief and the tracker is to recover your car.  For obvious reasons trackers don’t come with a window sticker! I’m sure that thieves know where to check for trackers but as we all know you need delicate hands to get behind a Pagoda dashboard.

Before fitting the Disklok you lock the steering and supposedly the shape of the Disklok prevents the thief from breaking the steering lock which makes dragging the car onto a truck challenging.  However, if an expert targets your car then steering locks and trackers ultimately might not save it.

The Disklok is a bit bulky to store although when removed the handle swings inside the disc.

Andrew

Andrew

1966 230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 20:31:16 »
Hi Andrew,

I had a sterling lock for my cars and as you mentioned they mainly discourage the thef from targeting your car. I have spend nearly 50 years of my working carrier as field engineer (25 of those years in my own business when I drove high end cars. Like BMW’s and Mercedes). I made sure always to stay in Bed and Breakfast places for additional security. When we had your car for the Euro Event in France, Garry and I made sure to stay in B&B’s only in Niece we parked in a very secure parking garage.

Best Regards

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

AGT

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 19:01:30 »
A slightly cheaper thief deterrent.  The yellow lump of iron locks my Citroen 2cv in first gear.  You might steal the car but the noise will drive you mad in a few minutes! 

And before anyone asks, 2cv’s are now in great demand and you never know who is eying up your prized possession when you park up in the village square.
Andrew

1966 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 12:39:30 »
Saw this on a trailer the other day…

https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/wheel-locks/twl100/
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid