Author Topic: Rear axle pivot bolt / removal of rubber boot  (Read 1195 times)

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
Rear axle pivot bolt / removal of rubber boot
« on: January 26, 2019, 22:06:16 »
In preparing my replacement 3.27 rear axle, I have removed both the axle shafts, and the left side axle carrier / tube (to relocate the vent tube). I want to replace the rubber boot (one-piece) so am planning on removing the right axle carrier / tube also. I have remove the tapered / wedge screw under the carrier and opened the lock washer, but the large hex nut / pivot bolt will not budge.

I have a couple of questions, I could use help on (I did search the forums, but did not find anything specifically relevant):

1. Do I actually have to remove the right axle tube off the pivot in order to replace the rubber boot? I see in BBB 35-5 A ("Righthand Supporting Tube with Connecting Bolts and Carrier of Rear Axle Suspension") - Removal - step 3 (page 35-5/1), it simply says "Pull rubber sleeve from rear axle housing" - prior to the steps to remove the pivot bolt and dismantle the whole pivot.

If the rubber boot (presumably that is what is meant by by rubber sleeve) can be removed as this point, then can the rubber boot not be also reinstalled at this point? This would obviously be lot simpler then disassembling the while pivot. It seems so obvious (given the right side axle shaft inside is now removed), but I wanted to double check.

2. If I do have to remove the right side carrier tube, and hence the the pivot bolt / large hex bolt, any ideas how to get this pivot bolt to shift? I have applied penetrant, but am using a large adjustable wrench which is not very forgiving nor gives great purchase. It a pretty large hex nut, so I have no socket or sized wrenches that fit this.

(Just to be clear, this 3.27 axle is not installed yet, so I am working on it on the bench.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 23:25:46 by clunker »
Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Rear axle pivot bolt / removal of rubber boot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:31:38 »
Yes, the right axel tube will need to be removed. I guess, you referring to the large hex bolt on the front of the horizontal pivot??  Try smacking it with a heavy mallet first, then unfasten it. You may need to get a socket and a breaker bar if this does not work.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Rear axle pivot bolt / removal of rubber boot
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:11:44 »
If memory serves there is a metal plate that is bent over one flat of the bolt to lock it in place.