Author Topic: 280SL Automatic Tansmission - Audible Noise While Slowing Down  (Read 1609 times)

nachum kadmiel

• Junior Level
  • Israel, Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv
Hi All,

Newbie here, so sorry if that has come up before - I searched and couldn't find....

I have a 69 280SL, and while slowing down, especially when the engine is warmer, I hear a strong knock when slowing down, when the gear shifts.

This happens sometimes when the gear shifts up between 2nd and 3rd.

Is this an adjustment problem, or is it something worse?

Thank you in advance,

Nachum

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: 280SL Automatic Tansmission - Audible Noise While Slowing Down
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 20:46:56 »
Welcome Nachum - I don't recall this coming up before, although 'harsh downshifts' is a common occurrende. Various possible causes come to mind, such as defective pressure switches on the transmission, 'frozen'/stuck solenoid that regulates internal pressure, and wiring issues. But with your description, I would also check the condition of the transmission mount. I think searching on each of these key words will get you a lot of information to use in your diagnosis. Good luck, and I am sure others with more knowledge will jump in soon.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: 280SL Automatic Tansmission - Audible Noise While Slowing Down
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 21:01:01 »
Nachum, in the Technical Manual on tis forum you have quite a lot about how the solenoid Cees is mentioning should work and how to check it. There is also a description on how to adjust automatic transmission for it to shift smoothly. I would study it first.

You will find this material here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Automatic/Start

Then try to search the forum with the key words Cees mentioned. Indeed you will find all you need there.

Checking the gearbox suspension is easy with the car up.

If you do not know how long ago transmission fluid and filter were replaced - it is a good thing to do too.

Nobody can tell for sure, but what you are experiencing may be just a question of adjustment indeed.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class