Author Topic: Door Contact Switches Which Operate Under Dash Light  (Read 1954 times)

hlblanton

Door Contact Switches Which Operate Under Dash Light
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:48:34 »
My under dash light is funky. The 3 way switch works so I can turn it off and on. But in the middle setting the light should come on when the doors are opened by operation of the door contact switches. My passenger side switch is sketchy, and clearly just needs to be replaced (I think the inernal spring is not pushing it to the "full open" setting) That switch looks like the image I've attached which has 2 pins which insert into the harness.

On the drivers side is another story. That doesn't work at all. Fine, likely a bad switch too. But the switch is TOTALLY different from the paseenger side one. Instead of 2 pins, it has 4 as well as a "blocking post" that ensures it attaches to the harness in the proper orientation.

I've seen a bunch of the 2 pin switches for sale, but nothing that looks like my 4 pin version.  Could the original harness been removed for some other part, or is there a totally different switch on the drivers side? For fun I tried plugging the passenger switch in the 2 ways it would fit on the drivers side but no ligth under any circumstance. So the harness could be bad, or the wiring behind it. But for now I'm really just trying to figure out what the right configuration is.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Door Contact Switches Which Operate Under Dash Light
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 22:27:40 »
My car, 1970 280 SL, had the same switch (four point connection). I believe that the one set of two connectors is for the light, and the second set is for the ignition buzzer (love the feds). I was never able to find a four point switch, and just put a two connector one in its place, and was able to secure the female connector with no problem.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
Re: Door Contact Switches Which Operate Under Dash Light
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:43:37 »
The drivers door is a four contact switch as is it also activates the "Brake fluid warning light" on the instrument cluster when that door is open. The driver side four contact switch is item 17 on the wiring diagram, 16 is the two contact switch for the passenger side door.

( I think the part number is A 00 082 113 52 but you should confirm )
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:06:53 by clunker »
Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc