Author Topic: Pagoda Group Badge location?  (Read 10610 times)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Re: Pagoda Group Badge location?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 13:32:49 »
Thanks Simon and Pawel. In primarily a business situation, Simon seems to have adopted a prudent standard practice.

Maybe I am naive or just less cautious Pawel but if I drive on public roads the plate is always viewable with the car by anyone.  Sorry for going off topic here.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

ScouseJames

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Croydon
  • 1966 230SL ex Worcester MA.
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:37 »
I'm not sure whether I will install the badge on the grill or I may do something similar to how my Mercedes-Benz Club badge is mounted.  Putting it in the same position but on the other side would balance the look.

smackYYZ

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, FL, Indian River Shores
  • I need a bigger garage
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 15:22:49 »
Pawel, excuse my ignorance. Can you educate me on the reason for blanking out the license plate number in the picture in your Post #20 above.

Another reason, is for insurance reasons. I know when ever I take any of my cars onto a track, auto cross or slalom course I tape out the plate so that even if someone else takes a picture it won't make it out to the web.
Mike aka SmackYYZ

1966 230SL Auto
2008 BMW 323i M6 my DD
2014 Corvette Z51 Coupe M7
2015 MB C300

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 17:16:10 »
Another reason, is for insurance reasons. I know when ever I take any of my cars onto a track, auto cross or slalom course I tape out the plate so that even if someone else takes a picture it won't make it out to the web.
Meaning that you are aware that "track, auto cross or slalom" are outside your insurance coverage and you are trying to limit evidence of such use if and when some unfortunate incident should occur.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 01:40:21 »
Pawel, excuse my ignorance. Can you educate me on the reason for blanking out the license plate number in the picture in your Post #20 above.

Ralph, I find this to be an interesting question. In the USA, at least, unless you are law enforcement, or some type of other government agent on a mission, so to speak, linking a genuine plate number to a name, address and owner is not legally possible.

Now, I'll reserve the judgment that there may be "Private Investigative" agencies or services, that for a fee, would provide that information...how I do not know. And, exactly what would they do with it?

Some years back, when I was putting together the Pagoda Style book, one of the contributors (who shall remain nameless!!) was "all kinds of worried" about this exact thing. So, not only did I spend an enormous amount of time carefully airbrushing out the number plate (to make it look like it was NOT airbrushed out...I actually REMOVED it  ;)) but then he decided "no, leave it alone".  Arghhh...

Then, another nameless contributor was seemingly paranoid, for lack of a better term, that the mere general location of his car mentioned would lead to its theft. So, the contributor's actual location was disguised.

Now, let's get real everyone. It takes a thief quite literally 90 seconds to remove a catalytic converter from ANY car parked on the street. It takes them two minutes to remove an airbag, and there are READY MARKETS for these stolen items. They fetch very, very good money, they are easy to steal and it doesn't matter if it's a 10 year old Toyota or a brand new BMW. Cast alloy wheels on Fords--and there are literally tens of thousands of them just in a 50 mile radius of where I am--are also incredibly easy to steal, and blocking a car and removing all four is done with the speed of a NASCAR wheel change.

So tell me now--what kind of thief is somehow going to go out of his way to track down your old car?  Or, track you down because he saw your number plate?

While I don't leave my car running on the street, and I avoid most bad neighborhoods and park it in a garage (well, sometimes its in a museum), I don't go through elaborate means to hide or disguise my car, nor my ownership of it. Just saying...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 05:20:45 »
While I don't leave my car running on the street, and I avoid most bad neighborhoods and park it in a garage (well, sometimes its in a museum), I don't go through elaborate means to hide or disguise my car, nor my ownership of it. Just saying...

I agree 100% Michael.  After all, my Pagoda is a car, a very special car to me but still, just a car.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 06:21:38 »
Michael, Ralph, all true what you are saying!

Just be careful what you place in the internet. As long as it is not ruining the purpose of the picture, it is better to hide plates. Human creativity is beyond what you can imagine.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 16:22:23 »
Michael, Ralph, all true what you are saying!

Just be careful what you place in the internet.

Pictures of me, my car, me and my car, my cars plates, etc. have been posted for years. From articles in magazines, and here, Concours websites, etc. The "damage" if any is done, and nothing I can do about it.  Nor am I worried or concerned. I hope never to ever have to make an insurance claim, and if I do, and it is the result of some nefarious type tracking down my number plate, finding my car and or me, well I'll report back. My bigger concern today is some fool in the museum not understanding what the velvet ropes or the do not touch signs are, and damaging something by accident. Or, when the car is home in my garage, knocking into it accidentally...

Has anyone seen the President of LifeLock? He's posted his own Social Security number in full page ads in the Wall Street Journal...

Now, I'm not one of those young ones (or even some old ones here) that post on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest or whatever else is out there 10x a day...nor do I "follow" anyone on such things.

So at least I'm containing the damage.  ;)  But I won't stop anyone from photographing the car anywhere (not that I could)...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 20:50:23 »
Hi
How do I get one of those grill badges please?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 10:59:28 »
Hi
How do I get one of those grill badges please?

Hello Brennie, The badges were sold to members as a project in 2018. There are none left for sale. It’s possible that at sometime in the future we will run the project again.

We executed the project similar to the way we did the Pagoda World magazine book projects in 2021. Orders were collected in advance and fulfilled once we knew how many to print/manufacture.

We do have a few extra copies of these two books available for sale.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ScouseJames

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Croydon
  • 1966 230SL ex Worcester MA.
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2022, 16:04:27 »
I'm not sure whether I will install the badge on the grill or I may do something similar to how my Mercedes-Benz Club badge is mounted.  Putting it in the same position but on the other side would balance the look.

Finally got round to putting the badge on, as well as a 200,000km award badge I bought from someone in the MB Club (as my car has done over 150,000 miles which is over 240,000km). 

FastWgn

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Weston
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 21:05:15 »
Pictures of me, my car, me and my car, my cars plates, etc. have been posted for years. From articles in magazines, and here, Concours websites, etc. The "damage" if any is done, and nothing I can do about it.  Nor am I worried or concerned. I hope never to ever have to make an insurance claim, and if I do, and it is the result of some nefarious type tracking down my number plate, finding my car and or me, well I'll report back. My bigger concern today is some fool in the museum not understanding what the velvet ropes or the do not touch signs are, and damaging something by accident. Or, when the car is home in my garage, knocking into it accidentally...

Has anyone seen the President of LifeLock? He's posted his own Social Security number in full page ads in the Wall Street Journal...

Now, I'm not one of those young ones (or even some old ones here) that post on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest or whatever else is out there 10x a day...nor do I "follow" anyone on such things.

So at least I'm containing the damage.  ;)  But I won't stop anyone from photographing the car anywhere (not that I could)...

It's Euro thing...

In the US I agree with you 100%, zero logic in hinding the plate, esp since anyone seeing you car on the street, or at a car meet, or anywhere else where they will actually see how nice it is, can take down the number and more importantly, likely social engineer who you are. The second they have your name, they can easily look up your address and fetch the car later. 

Now - in some European countries, you can look up any car online and find the owners name. Again - easy to then get the home address of the person.

This is ONE reason many people in those Euro countries register the car under a corporate entity. No name to trace an address from.  All that said, if a thief really, really want your car, they will simply follow you home and see where you live......
================
1969 280 SL, 4 speed.

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2022, 16:30:48 »
Hi
Yes.. I have both books.. I ordered them as soon as they were announced.. but now I’d like a badge… did I read in the latest issue the they are available again?