Author Topic: New sill query on adding additional inspection, drainage and anti corrosion hole  (Read 1758 times)

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Hi all,

I am about to replace one of my sills with a sill repair section.  Prior to doing this I was thinking it may make some to add a drainage hole and some inspection/corrosion access holes.

With regards the drainage hole I assume it makes most sense to add this to the rear of the sill.  What are other peoples thoughts on this?

With regards the inspection/corrosion assess holes I was thinking one hole at both the front and the rear in the ends of the sill and also a couple along the outer panel of the sill as these would be covered by the sill outer covering.  Would be interested in hearing what others have done on this. 

Regards

Steven
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Tom in seattle

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Shoreline
Steven, I'm pretty sure mine has drain holes about mid door.  May not be original, but they are there.
Tom Averill
1967 250 SL Auto Euro Spec

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Original sills have a small drain hole at the front and rear on the flat horizontal section about 25mm in from the ends.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 14:37:17 by Benz Dr. »
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

swood1

• Senior
Thanks for this, I have marked up my new sills for drilling. Shall do it this weekend.

Steve

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
I have not done it yet but want to add inspection holes at the ends of the top under the carpet.  My sills were replaced and my car was dipped in E-coat primer and I want to be sure the insides were fully coated. 

swood1

• Senior
It's an option although you will need to take off the aluminium trim prior to lifting the carpet.   I dont think there is any easy option/answer, although I was thinking maybe of adding holes on the sides at each end, could cut the carpet locally (a small flap), so you could gain access. 

Steve