Author Topic: Radio/clock Fuse  (Read 2992 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Radio/clock Fuse
« on: January 04, 2019, 18:50:39 »
I have read everything I can find on the forum but still cannot find a fuse for the clock/radio.  It's my understanding that the clock and radio by-pass the fuse block so they can run without running the car.  There has to be a fuse somewhere. (I actually have a switch that was added tapped in to the radio power to lock out the radio to prevent it running without the engine)

My car is a 1965 European (Germany) 230sl with a factory installed Grand Prix radio without a power antenna.

I saw the posting by Pawel which shows a separate fuse box which I don't seem to have either. I thought there might be a fuse block behind the glove box but all I can see there is what I would call an amp/power supply box for the radio I am at a loss.

I am attaching a picture of something under the cooling reservoir, which being a novice, I don't recognize.  Could that be a fuse link?  Could the radio/clock be on one fuse?

Any input would be appreciated

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Radio/clock Fuse
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 20:14:11 »
Sadie, to the best of my knowledge (others, please correct me if I am wrong), clock and radio are not fused together.

Clock is fused with the fuse No. 1 that has power permanently. Here is info: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Fuses

You also have descriptions of fuses under your fuse box cover. Fuse No. 1 has power at all times, regardless of ignition key position and is powering devices that need power all the time (e.g. clock, courtesy light, trouble light socket, etc.).

As for the radio - in my post there was a summary of my findings. It looks like (unless others will say otherwise) that there were two wires in the harness running next to coolant reservoir - one powered permanently for automatic antenna, one powerd in accessory position in ignition switch for the radio. Factory or dealer installation was about using these wires and attaching them to fuses in the fuse box you mentioned. You should have those wires there unless someone cut them short while removing the fuse box. Then someone might have powered the radio from somewhre else, e.g. from fuse No. 1.

I am not sure what is on your picture, I am not that familiar with various versions of installation. I have something very similar in another place and it is just a wire connector. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 22:24:34 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 22:06:47 »
Just as an update if it helps anyone.  The "connector" in the picture attached to my first posting turns out to actually be something called a "European type in-Line fuse connector"

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 22:27:03 »
I have to confess: in my previous post I wrote that one wire  "is powered with ignition" while it is powered in "accessory", no. 2, position in ignition switch. I changed it.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:27 »

Hey Sadie,

If your car was delivered with factory-installed radio,
your car  should have the little fuse box next/directly behind the voltage regulator.
That's the typical location for these fuses and there are always two places for fuses therein).

Those are pretty straight forward to come by ..., I think used and new (at least in parts).
The inline fuse you have under the water expansion tank is surely (typical German) aftermarket stuff.

Best,

Achim

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 23:57:54 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 20:20:16 »
I think I can risk adding: if the car was not equipped with the factory radio, it might have had the necessary wires in the harness so that they can be pulled out and installed like Achim describes. At least so it seems...
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 00:28:09 »
I think I can risk adding:

Hello JB (Sadie),

If your car was equipped with a factory radio (BeckerGrandPrixNonStereoRadio)
then it should usually have been equipped with a fuse box like this.

If not ... hm... ??? ??? ???

Nevertheless, the in-line fuse-thing you found under the overflow-coolant-expansion tank
is certainly aftermarket.
This might very well be ... since your engine bay (your car) looks clearly fully restored;
so, a lot of minor /tiny changes could have been added between >> 1964 and 2017. 8) ;)

Ask me how I know ....

Achim
(also '64 230)

Achim
(Germany)