Author Topic: Visors  (Read 1696 times)

Clayton

Visors
« on: December 30, 2018, 00:08:07 »
Searched the forum for visor replacements and did not see any input on the Benz restorer product. Has anybody tried these? I am going for a Great daily driver....for $200, they seem to be a good deal. I did see another vendor ( Dansk?) that looks to had vanished.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Visors
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 00:36:54 »
I bought the Dansk last year. I got a great deal for $80 plus shipping for the pair.  I had to modify the hinge a little to get everything to fit perfectly.

From looking at Benz Restorers website the $235 ones are the Dansk versions. I think he has several versions from different manufacturers at different prices.  You can tell the different manufacturers by the cross bar  (for clip) on the visor.

Dansk versions have the cross bar entirely heat sealed in with the visor vinyl.  Other versions have the vinyl end at either end of the bar which is more correct but more expensive.

I have not seen the Dansk versions readily available for awhile.  My guess they made a batch and that was it.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Clayton

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 16:56:32 »
I received my visors from the Benz Restorer. They look good and appear exactly as pictured but, the now vinyl covered clip bar does not snap into the clip ( diameter is larger ). Is the answer to cut the vinyl and tuck it back into the visor...that has got to look cheesy. Not to mention, I don't know if the bar underneath will be presentable.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 17:03:34 »
I gently forced mine into the clip.  I did not cut anything.  A friend of mine bought same visors and did same thing.  Be careful not to crack the plastic clip.

If really tough maybe you could use a hair dryer to heat up vinyl and plastic clip.  Just a suggestion.
Signal Red
4 Speed

Clayton

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 17:13:05 »
I am liking the hair dryer option on the clips. Living in San Diego, I will need them more for sun than wind. Which means I will be snapping and unsnapping on a regular basis. I started thinking there were two different size clips. The 230 and 250 versions he sells has a different bar system.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 17:15:15 »
I used my original clips.
Signal Red
4 Speed