Author Topic: Replacing front bumper support?  (Read 2355 times)

larryled

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Replacing front bumper support?
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:00:45 »
Have a 67 230SL that has rusted front bumper support.  It looks like it must be cut off and new one welded on.  Appreciate help from someone that has fixed this problem.  Thanks, Larry

wayne R

Re: Replacing front bumper support?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 02:18:30 »
Larry i will try and give you a little help.
Remove the bumber completely,  then  get correct size spanners and  remove old bolts, holding the bumper guards on,
until they either snap break  or off,but while doing that, it can actually  swell the slot where
the bolt head  is and  that can be  beat out later  ,.apply a good spray lubricate on all items before you start.
I did my front ones about a month ago,because both were loose, purchased new stainless  coach bolts from  bunnings your home dept,
they have the same size  square on  bolts.
Im going to remove both bumpers in  about 3 months to do  the rear ,and then prep the backs of bumpers
and apply   grey Bill Hirsch miracle paint.  Its the best  better then POR 15.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 02:40:56 »
 Depending how bad your rust is you may be able to section and repair only the bad areas. However the best repair would be to replace the front bumper support with new. Purchase both halves new and have them spot welded together for an original looking repair. If a spot welder is not available, you can plug weld them together then grind down the plug welds and simulate factory spot welds. You may be able to salvage the right and left support. You will need some nice grinders with cut-off wheels or a plasma cutter to remove the old rusted parts. Take some time to paint the inside of the parts before you weld them together, so they will not rust again. Areas to be welded must be ground free of paint, dirt and rust before welding. Be sure to prep and paint all welded areas after welding also.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:49:18 »
And just a suggestion, if you have a fair amount of rust around that area, while you are under there, check underneath the middle of the front cross member by poking it with something sharp to see that there is no rust in the cross member.
 Twice when checking this on two different Pagodas that had quite heavy rust in the bumpers they also had rust in the cross member to the point of having a hole right through underneath. I suspect it is a rust point in the car.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:47:49 »
Quote from: Garry
.../...they also had rust in the cross member to the point of having a hole right through underneath. I suspect it is a rust point in the car
Especially if the two water drain channels in the cross member have been plugged by dirt and/or underbody stuff, so that water has collected inside (condensation etc.). Then rots from the inside out.
As mentioned before, poke the drains with some dowel or screw driver to make sure they are open and functional. Goes for the whole chassis
/Hans S

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:00 »
Hi,
Have a look at the body shell reference photos (...#281ff): https://www.hanshehl.de/tipp19.htm#121.
...WRe

larryled

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 16:50:19 »
All, thanks for you very quick response to my plea for help with the rusted bumper support.  However I misstated the part.  It is the “cross member” that the bumper bolts onto, that Gary alluded to in his reply.  This part is appropriately 3” D by 4” high and is part of the frame.  Is looks welded on to that on either side, and a quick look tells me this is no DIY job.  Pelican Parts has what appears to be this part for $127.00.  Not MB, but if correct, I could live with minor quality difference.  So different problem now, any suggestions?   Thanks again,  Larry

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 17:26:34 »
Hi Larry,
My reply was concerning the front cross member. It would be difficult for a DIY, unless you had sheet metal fabrication and welding experience. Be aware that the front cross member comes in two halves, front and rear. The two "trapezoid shaped" bumper supports are welded to the front crossmember and do not come with the new cross member.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback