Author Topic: Wiper motor wiring  (Read 7651 times)

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Wiper motor wiring
« on: December 13, 2018, 13:41:23 »
Hi Gents,
I need some info re the wiper motor plug colour coding and function of each wire.
67 250SL, the wiper motor has a 5 point plug. However the plug on the wiring harness has only 4 wires.
Much appreciated.
Chris
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 13:49:33 by cfm65@me.com »
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Wiper motor wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 14:13:21 »
Hi Chris,

That's not correct for sure.
The wiper motor and its plug have only four contacts, not five.
The latter is (AFAIK) the W111C wiper motor.
Not correct for the Pagoda.

There's no difference between the 3 Pagodas regarding wiper mechanism, relay, wiper motor, etc.

My 2 cents...,
you need to find the correct wiper motor.

Best regards,
Achim
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 00:58:33 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 14:37:40 »
Hi,
there are 2 different wiper motors, one 4-pin for W113 and one 5-pin for W111. The 5-pin is a little bit bigger but should work with the 4-pin plug. This motor has one wiper stage more.
The wiring should be:
Pin1: black/purple/white from relais pin 56
Pin2: brown ground
Pin3: black/purple/green from switch
Pin4: black/purple from fuse 2/pin15
...WRe
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 15:07:53 by WRe »

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 15:46:45 »
Tks Gents,
I have two exact same motors with 5 (male)pins, arranged and numbered as follows,
1.   3.   5. pin is NOT numbered but marked with the grounded sign( upside down T)
2.   4.

The wiper power lead has four wires in a six hole plug.
The wires are very similar to your colour coding, except no purple in any combination and the last one black and red ( not bl+ purp )
You might ask, so what is the problem then?  My problem is that I can only get the motor to run at low speed.. No high speed and no park mode.
Any ideas?
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 17:38:40 »
Hi,
we have at pin 4 permanent power +12V from fuse 2. At pin 1 we have +12V from the relais. At pin 3 you get the second speed from the switch. Or the other way round: which of your cables provide these power.
You should check if these three work correct.
Pin 2 is ground and very often weak because of corrosion.
Did you check the relais?
...WRe

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 05:01:02 »
Thanks,
I’ll have a look and report back.
Cheers
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 13:40:45 »
TKS Gents,
I found my switching and wiring up the motor is fine but the wiring inside the motor is the problem. Only nr 1 pin and the earth pin turns the motor, 2,3 and 4 are dead.
Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.
Happy Christmas to you all
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 14:04:34 »
as Wre Already stated:

permanent +12v at pin 4
ground                at pin 2
relais  +12v         at pin 1
then your motor should function  :  if not the inner contacts of the motor might be burnt  see pic.

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 14:04:59 »
and

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 18:26:28 »
Hi Chris,

I reread your original post. Apart from having the 5-pin motor, it sounds like someone added a 6-hole female connector on your car. I think all Pagodas normally have a 4-hole female connector, and this would be impossible to mate to a 5-pin motor due to interference between that fifth pin and the connector.

One possible source of confusion for getting the right wires to the right pins is that the pin numbering is not clear. The motor has numbering at the pins (which is different between the 4-pin and 5-pin motors) and the connector has different numbering. See pictures below.

The reason I'm looking at all this is I'm trying to figure out: if you did want to use a 5-pin motor in a Pagoda, what modifications would need to be made; either to the female connector, or to the wiper motor, or both.

Meyer
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 14:43:11 by mnahon »
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 19:19:19 »
I somehow disconnected or crossed the wires at the foot operated washer switch on my W111. Now the wipers do not park properly. I can't figure out what I did any suggestions or wiring diagrams that would show this?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:50:13 »
Hi Paul,

Below, I'm attaching the relevant part of the wiring diagram for the wiper motor on a W111, to the best of my knowledge. It comes from the BBB. The wiper motor is number 29, the foot pump is number 30, and the wiper column control is 19. As best as I''ve beem able to figure out, the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, shown on 29,  are the pin numbers on the motor; and 31 is the ground pin. The wires are labeled with colours that should match what you have in the connector.  br is brown, sw/vi/bl is black/violet/blue, sw/vi/gn is black/violet/green, sw/vi/ws is black/violet/white, and the wire to pin 4 (which goes to fuse 2) is black/violet.

At the foot pump, it looks like you should have four pins and they are labeled pin numbers 1, 2 and 4---it seems like there are two pins labeled 2? Pin 1 should have a black/blue/yellow wire that also goes to pin 2. Pin 2 should have that wire plus a black/violet/pink wire; pin 4 should have a black/violet wire that goes to fuse 2. The second pin 2 should have a black/violet/white wire. I can't check all this because I don't have a W111.

Hopefully, this should help you set up the connector wiring.

All that said, I've hit a roadblock with my project of getting the Pagoda to use a W111 motor. I've been able to get full functionality (start, stop, high and low speed), but not parking. I can't quite figure out how parking is supposed to work relative to the Pagoda motor. On the Pagoda, it's the wire to fuse 2 that does that job, but here, it seems different.

By the way, if you have a W111 owners manual I'd appreciate if you could post the pages that discuss operation of the wipers and foot pump. Also if you have that part of the wiring diagram in the manual, it would be useful if you could post that, so I could confirm the wiring diagram I found in the BBB.

Thanks, Meyer
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 13:01:12 by mnahon »
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 18:22:10 »
Thank you Meyer,
Apologies, I only noticed your reply today.
I got it working for a few years, however, somehow the smoke finally escaped a few days ago.
The motor is toast.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 21:37:38 »
I just pulled mine that has not turned in probably 40 years.  When I opened it up the Greese was very Thick and Dark. Nothing like the pictures above.   I cleaned it all out and going to test it.  From reading this post, looks like I will Put 12V Power to Pin 4, Ground Pin 2 and add 12V power to pin 1 to turn it on and off....

When I repack this thing with Grease what is the best grease to use for this stuff?  And do I really pack it in there pretty much fill it up?
Thanks
Aaron
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 08:02:24 »
I haven't read that there's a preferred grease to use, just make sure all traces of the old grease is removed and the gears thoroughly cleaned before you add new grease, any decent gear or bearing grease should do. Have a google, plenty of videos showing general wiper motor overhauls

Make sure the electrical contacts including the contact ring are kept clean of grease

You may also want to pay attention to the wiper arm spindles as these can freeze solid if they haven't moved for years, and could burn out the motor if they are not spinning freely when you turn the motor on

There are a few posts regarding how to free these up, and you may want to invest in a tool to grease them - https://www.authenticclassics.com/Greasing-Tool-Windshield-Wiper-Spindle-280sl-p/auth-008822.htm
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2023, 19:33:38 »
Cool I will google and watch some videos.  The arms under the dash are very stiff too.  Seems like it just white plastic that holds them together?  Do these just need to be cleaned or oiled or replaced?  I will check on that authentic classics to see if those parts are for sale.
Aaron

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2023, 20:27:46 »
Cleaned up everything and it all moves freely.  Not frozen Spindles.  I am going to find a way to pack some grease into them anyway before I put it all back in the car.  Probably get that Tool.  Seems like the plastic parts are good once cleaned everything off.  Not exactly sure how to get them off without destroying them anyway.  Seems like they snap in and are in for the long haul.

I guess it is on to testing the motor now.
Should I try and run the motor without all the gears in first just to make sure it works then Gear it up?

If that is good then I think I finally get to start putting stuff back into the car!

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2023, 20:58:01 »
Have a look on this article for maintenance tips while you've got everything apart

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/PagodaNotes?action=download&upname=PNv10i4.pdf

Make sure you keep your fingers away from the linkages under the dash, you could end up with less than when you started

UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2023, 21:06:29 »
Ok will do!  (About the linkage and my fingers). So just tested the motor.  Runs great without any gears in.  So off to the auto store for some Grease and I will pack it in and fire it up again!

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 23:13:54 »
ARGGG@!  I have been video taping ever thing I do so I can watch it back to put things back together.  As I took the Motor Apart I noticed that my camera turned off.  I was hoping that did not mean that I never hit record but sadly true.  So I cannot remember how much Grease was everywhere and where.   A few questions if anyone knows....

1 - 2 Metal Washers.   I assume they go over the 2 holes they are next to with the pink arrows.  Should I grease under them?  Dont think there was grease under.

2 - I have painted in Blue where I think I should grease... Kind of all over?

3- The contacts in the last pic in the Box. BobH said "Make sure the electrical contacts including the contact ring are kept clean of grease".
Do I have that right in the pics of what to keep clean in the red boxes?

Blue Grease, Red Clean?

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2023, 21:19:57 »
Watched a few videos.  Still not 100% But I think I just need to grease it all except the contact pin and bottom of that gear that has the connection with the pins. 

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 12:30:23 »
I've never actually seen inside the wiper motor, but that looks like the obvious place for the washers to go

I would grease all turning parts, spindles, cogs, bushes etc, as in your pictures, and make sure the electrical contact surfaces are kept clean, the spring contacts and the contact ring

I'm sure there are some owners who have cleaned and re-greased their motors who can confirm
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 17:19:25 »
Thanks!  Did not realize but when I release the C Clip on the Spindle came apart!  So I will pack that with Grease too and put it all back together today.
Thanks for all the help!
Aaron