Author Topic: WTB: 'sedan' A/C bracket for W113 280 SL to replace "monster" bracket  (Read 3614 times)

afeustel

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
Wondering if somebody has the "sedan" bracket to replace the dealer installed A/C "monster bracket". Also need the original alternator bracket and the sedan pulley set to complete the package so that I can fit a rotary compressor on top and relocate the alternator to below.

Please PM or email.

Thanks
Drew

afeustel

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
Re: WTB: 'sedan' A/C bracket for W113 280 SL to replace "monster" bracket
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 04:33:13 »
Reposting to see if anybody has a sedan A/C mounting bracket for sale and an original alternator bracket.

Thanks
Drew

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 16:34:04 »
Hi Drew,
cant help you with the parts but take a look at the options from Buds Benz. That might be an alternative for you?
https://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/230-250-280-sl/z-air-conditioning

Dirk
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 21:33:03 »

Hello Drew,

While I am by far no expert on the airconditioning systems...,   ???
everything I have seen so far is
if the car (i.e. the W113 here) has got air conditioning,
then the pretty heavy compressor is located below with its own (new) bracket and the alternator on top.

AFAIK this is the same setup for the Sedans
(otherwise MB would have made separate brackets for the SLs and the other cars - don't think so).

I have not come along any differences here and AFAIK Bud's systems are oriented the same.  ;)
Why would you want to relocate these both units? What's the (deeper) sense of this?   ???

Best,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:15:53 »
Hello Drew,

Sorry I have not responded to your email yet.  I am running behind on my emails. The sedan brackets are indeed different than the SLs. Much simpler, lighter, easier to deal with during repairs to the engine, only one AC belt is needed, and AC belt adjustment is simpler. The reason for the difference in sedans and SLs, is sedans have more hood clearance than the SLs so the compressor had to go below on the SLs. Back then those old monstrous Tecumseh and York upright compressors were large and needed a lot of room. With the new rotary Sanden style compressors you can find enough room for the compressor on the top  and can still leave the alternator in its original position below. The SL "monster bracket" can be removed and replaced by the simpler sedan bracket. I am in the middle of a change-over right now so I can post some pics if you like. Tom Kaiser has also used my sedan bracket change-over as well as others with good results. I think Tom has his work well-documented, maybe he can chime in also. The alternative is to leave the original monster bracket on the engine, purchase the "upright" to Sanden adapter and just bolt the Sanden compressor below. I'll try to get back with some pics soon.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

afeustel

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:02:26 »
Thanks to all for the great feedback. The comments are helpful and I do like the thought of removing the monster bracket. What worries me the most about that bracket is the requirement to pull the pulleys and damper for removal in order to gain access to the right side of the motor and forward exhaust manifold.

I will continue to look for the parts and thanks to the admin folks who moved this post from the For Sale section to this WTB section...my bad.

Drew

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 05:36:53 »
Keep in mind that if you are looking to convert to the sedan setup there are a few additional parts you will need. The top of the water pump housing is slightly taller on the sedan in order to clear the bracket. You will also need the original style alternator mounting bracket when moving the alternator back down to it’s original location on a non ac car. The sedan setup also used a double groove pulley for the water pump. SL’s fitted with ac used a 3 groove pulley on the pump which you might be able to use but not sure. There may still be a M130 engine for sale on eBay that was from a sedan fitted with AC. I can post a photo of that grimey motor if you cannot find it.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic