Author Topic: Key issues  (Read 1285 times)

wwpepper

• Junior Level
  • USA, WV, Charleston
Key issues
« on: December 01, 2018, 00:11:02 »
I bought a Euro 230sl 4 speed with no keys, and with the driver side door handle lock  cylinder gone.  I ordered a set of keys using the key codes from MB data sheet obtained from the Classic Center. Unfortunately, the door key does not fit the passenger side which has its cylinder. It goes in, won’t open the door.  I will spray it and check further, but I am not optimistic the key is correct for that lock.  I believe the passenger door lock and handle are not the originals (The trunk/glovebox key they sent works great on those locks.)

Can a locksmith rekey my passenger side cylinder to work with the OEM correct key? Can I just buy a cylinder off someone and use it with my otherwise fine driver side door handle and have it rekeyed as well? If so, I would  need to buy a cylinder for the driver side if anyone knows where one is available.

More important second question—my correct key code MB ignition key does not turn the ignition. It inserts but will not turn. I believe that means the ignition swiitch has also been changed.  Is there a key code stamped anywhere on the ignition switch? How do I get to it?  If so, can I give the code to a locksmith with a blank and get a working key made?  I searched the technical manual and it shows how to remove the switch if you have the key, but I do not have a working ignition key, so I am at a loss.

Any ideas would be appreciated.