Author Topic: 230SL on TV  (Read 2571 times)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
230SL on TV
« on: November 23, 2018, 19:56:41 »
So, I was watching the "Velocity" channel last night and behold - one of the hot rod shops that usually deal with pushrod V8s was working on a 1964 230SL for a client. (who would bring his Pagoda to a place like this???) The owner's name was Gary and he wanted his 230 "restored' on a budget.
This budget was the amount of the perceived value of the car, which was 30K, according to the "experts". The owner wanted it  redone, so he could go "racing" with it (the morons are still around..)
They did an interior redo, had a hard time finding replacement wood trim on the dash board, took the seats and some of the interior out, removed the engine and "overhauled" it. Broke the camshaft in the process and acquired another used one, which they had some place regrind (probably to Blue Flame specs) and re-installed a originally previously dealer-furnished a/c unit that a P/O had removed because the compressor coupling was hitting a front sway bar or something.
After everything was done, including a thorough polishing, which allowed to keep the original paint job, the bill was $35,000.-
That's what I call "Reality TV"!
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
Re: 230SL on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 21:28:48 »
That was originally broadcast several years ago. (FantomWorks)

Did you happen to notice that the dash was painted brown with supposedly original white exterior?

I found that odd.

Norm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 21:35:26 by Norm »
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: 230SL on TV
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:17:55 »
I figured that the show as a few years old. Most of them are. I do not recall the color of the dash panel.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner