Author Topic: 250SL sitting since 1982 Questions regarding Fuel Injection pump, Long Fuel pump  (Read 3404 times)

BLTZKRG

I have just bought a 1967 250SL which has been off the road since 1982, its an incredible time warp car with 43989 miles from new, single owner, the title is in the name of her estate, it has everything right down to the PDI inspection sheet, even the check used to pay for it and the receipt from Autohaus Brugge in Palo Alto, a fabulous car, all original paint, three pieces of fitted luggage, full stamped main dealer service history, leather interior. Whilst the paint is deteriorated the interior is virtually mint, stored in Palo Alto it has remained rust free, the trunk floor is museum quality, tools are there, plus jack and complete lubrication kit, there's even what looks like a dog tag with the last four digits of the chassis number, all hang tags are still there in the trunk on the jack and hanging from the hinge.

I had the car running on Saturday after pulling the plugs and putting Marvels mystery oil in the bores to help the rings, it fired beautifully using starting fluid. The fuel tank is out which has some surface rust inside, and I've since pulled the radiator which I will have cleaned and recored if necessary. I have rebuilt the fuel pump, the propellor was jammed through varnished fuel, but I am in need of the specs for the lower 'O' ring, I understand its approx 70mm but wonder if anyone has the proper measurements.
The water pump spun but was quite stiff, so I have a new one to go in, the upper thermostat housing was heavily corroded so I ordered a new one from Tom Hanson who always helps wonderfully.
Also I wonder what I should do, if anything to the MFI pump, I removed the fuel line going into the pump itself and the gas stinks as you'd expect, any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
BLTZKRG
Fantastic find, congratulation!  Looking forward to more news and pictures as you sort through this gem.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
Your lucky that the impeller didnt turn to dust. Ours which only sat for 10 or so years, the impeller had some break down.

Have you looked here, several different levels of rebuild supplies?

https://www.authenticclassics.com/230SL-250SL-280SL-Convertible-113-Chassis-s/1.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&search=fuel%20pump&show=36&page=1

Also don't forget the inlet screen.

Looks like a fantastic car!!

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Change fluid and filters, make sure the upper oil filter internal seal is in place!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
Congratulations!  I've just started a similar restoration with a car stored since 1982 in San Jose.  My father-in-law bought her in Germany and imported it in 1981.  My Mother-in-law didn't enjoy driving it as much as she imagined, so I bought it from them, but as I lived in Singapore, it sat in their garage until I returned.  I'm now in Fresno and tacking considerable rust, re-dyeing the leather, new leather for the seats and door panels, new carpet, etc. 

I did boil my tank and also rebuilt my fuel pump.  Mine is an automatic, which isn't shifting well. 

Good luck and maybe we can meet in Palo Alto some day.  I was born there. 
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Cool! As mentioned in a different thread, I am working on my Dec 1970 280 SL (Sandy Beige) which I brought with me from Germany in 1988 and which has been parked since 1995.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

wayne R

BLTZKRG,, Terrific find,these days it is getting harder and harder to find examples like you
have just found.
You have the chance to look after this rare car as is or to to do the opposite and restore or change items unnecessary.
If you go to ----Pinder    August 31st 2015  on this forum, there is alot of info,from many that can help you
with your pump. Sorry im not very good on computer, dont know how to drag it to you.
Take a look at this photo, re-----restorations----regards Wayne.

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
........Whilst the paint is deteriorated ............

.........there's even what looks like a dog tag with the last four digits of the chassis number.......

BLTZKRG

Regarding your original paint which you indicate is deteriorated, IMHO this should be preserved on such an original car if at all possible. I also have original paint which I have waxed almost to extinction over the years.  A couple of years ago I wrestled with repainting or leaving the paint original.  Before making a decision I decided to have a professional detailer bring up the shine and apply a ceramic coating.  While there are a few warts and a few "almost waxed through" spots, I am completely satisfied with the result and would recommend you consider this when you get around to what to do with the  exterior finish.

When you have time, could you post a picture of the dog tag you mention.  Sounds somewhat like the Service Data Plate that came with these cars except that the Service Data Plate included complete chassis and engine numbers.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

wayne R

Ralph--Your 280 SL is is fabulous, thank you for sharing it
with us,and its a credit to you for preserving it like you have,---regards.

BLTZKRG

I'm trying to find a site which I can use to attach all of the pics and link them on here

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Nice and original :)  Fine indeed.
In the supplementary tool bag that you show there is an item, next to the larger grease gun on the left, which is barely visible.
What is that? Please can you pull it out and make a separate picture?

A couple of items are not present in your bag (in your picture). I attach the illustration of the supplementary kit from M-B booklet "Reisen mit Mercedes-Benz"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 13:17:48 by mbzse »
/Hans S

BLTZKRG

Thanks for all of the replies, I have no intention of repainting the car, they are only original once as I'm sure you agree.Here is the 'Dog tag' style key fob, I can only assume that this was what the dealers had on the key ring so that they knew which set went with each car

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 14:36:46 by BLTZKRG »

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
The "dog tag" appears to be an identification disc attached to the ignition key at the factory referencing the last several digits of a car's Fahrg-Nr. for control purposes.  It is not known what percentage of these escaped the factory for delivery with the vehicle, but they are rarely seen today.  This is a example from a 300 SL..

BLTZKRG

Fantastic, thanks EJBoyd, my car has a really nice brown leather key bag with a Mercedes plastic logo inset, I'll post a pic of that too

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
And don't let that supplemental tool kit (or the luggage either for that matter) out of your sight! They were about $14 US in the day, now a complete one will fetch in the range of $700!! They are extremely rare.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Think long and hard before replacing any components on the car.  It appears as if you have a true "survivor" where many parts retain their original markings and identifications that can not be duplicated.  The original fuel tank can be cleaned and reinstalled.  Does the radiator really need servicing or is it just someone's idea that it might?  Any service on the radiator will destroy the original paint and patina. Don't replace the water pump with a new one, have the original rebuilt, but only if it doesn't free up with a little use.  Take many, many pictures of this rare find and resist the temptation to replace parts as replacement destroys originality. Go slowly, repair components only as necessary and enjoy your rare treasure.

BLTZKRG

Thank you for the advice,I am taking as many pics as I can, really need an original thermostat housing as mine is very corroded at the top where the hose fits, here are some pics, trying to keep it to only cleaning right now, the rad needs a recored sadly, but that and the thermostat housing are all it takes

Here are some pics of the inner front fenders under the battery and under the air cleaner

Best Regards
Ian

BLTZKRG

The Ink marks on the back of fan and some detail pics, front behind grille, inner left rear wheel arch after a bit of soap and water

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Nice details, keep them coming!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

BLTZKRG

Metzeler Hose dated 1/67 and also Continental belt

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:12:29 by BLTZKRG »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
I would replace the tank.  The tanks were originally galvanized on the interior and even with a good cleaning there will still be a tendency to get what we refer to as “microrust” traveling through the fuel system.  Needless to say this can do bad things to the high tolerance injection pump.  If you plan on showing the car at an MBCA event the standard is original or whatever Mercedes is currently supplying so even a replacement tank from Mercedes can be deemed correct.