Author Topic: can the 230 sl tumbler mechanism be repaired - re sticking key  (Read 2118 times)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
hello
after searching the forums and the tech manual i am unclear if the tumbler mechanism can be repaired or cleaned for a sticking key situation.

I replaced the whole mechanism back in the late 90's with a new one from Mercedes. 
in general it works fine however once in a while it will stick between position 0 and 1.
graphite lubricant helps but after a while it sticks again.  my neighbors are locksmiths and they recommend a PTFE lubricant.

at this point i would prefer to pull the lock if it can be rebuilt and cleaned.

one note : the steering wheel lock mechanism does not seem to work anymore,  I wonder if that is causing a clearance issue...
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: can the 230 sl tumbler mechanism be repaired - re sticking key
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 18:08:59 »
Matt, if the key is occasionally sticking, it will stick for good one day. If it does, it is difficult to get to it...

It is easy to take out the tumbler. You have procedure in tech manual and another one here: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27823.msg200287#msg200287

Then it is easy either to clean it or take it to the key guy in town if it needs fixing. Critical is what you lubricate it with - best is powdered graphite. Or there are some special oils for locks that do not attract dust. You can use soft pencil and rub it against all of the parts, but this is emergency way.

There are many posts on this topic.

Not sure why your steering lock is not working - perhaps also sticking and needs cleaning, but it may be something else.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 21:17:19 »
Pawel
hi,
yes, i was concerned that one day the key would stick for good.

so, since i had the speedo out i went ahead and followed the BBB procedure and removed the ignition lock.
not a hard job but annoying.

anyway, the steering wheel lock pin was stuck inward toward the key.  it took pb blaster silicone lube , time and some tugging with a needle nose pliers to get the lock pin to move at all.

i took the whole assembly to my neighbors (the locksmiths)  they used a spray product called super lube to clean the tumbler and then they used a grease version of super lube to lubricate the lock pin.

everything moves so much smoother now,  i am happy i took the time to address this now before the key really got stuck
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 21:28:47 »
Congratulations!

In just a few hours!  :)
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 01:12:26 »
Matt, if the key is occasionally sticking, it will stick for good one day. If it does, it is difficult to get to it...

It is easy to take out the tumbler. You have procedure in tech manual and another one here:

Nope, Pawel...,
This doesn't work on a 230  and 250SL-early key-lock tumbler.

They "usuall" cannot be removed (well, they can but it is a tough job on a lathe...),
by far not as easy as with a 280 SL (or late 250 SL).

Lucky you, Merill,
if you could fix yours with lot's of super-lube or whatever that is you used.
But sadly after a while it will come back.
After 40 -50 years of usage it is very common (and likely) that your tumbler part falls apart being "cut" by the sharp teeth of the (single side) key after all the decades.
Then you are in a real trouble ...
... because it is not easy to fix these units.
... It can be done, but tough ! No comparison with the easy 280 SL solution.

Best,
Achim

Achim
(Germany)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 13:25:45 »
Achim
hi
i think the hot texas summers had something to do with the steering wheel locking pin not working.  I have a feeling the heat caused the lubricant to dry up or leak away.

once i freed up the locking pin the rest of the mechanism worked just fine.

my ignition mechanism is only about 20 years old.  i replaced it back in the late 90's when the old one was acting up.
i wish i had kept the old one for parts !

thanks Matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230