Author Topic: 230sl temperature gauge  (Read 1248 times)

mgmoore

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, cheltenham
230sl temperature gauge
« on: November 04, 2018, 09:13:36 »
Hi,

Was driving my 230sl yesterday for an hour or so and noticed the temperature gauge fluctuating between the 180-190 mark. Seems to go up to 190 at higher revs and drop back down to 180 when idling. When stationary noted that the needle on the gauge fluctuates between 180-185.  Is this normal? Recall previous pagoda's I've owned as holding the temperature at a constant 180.

The radiator has recently been re-cored and car appears to run fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Mathew 

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: 230sl temperature gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:35:53 »
I would suspect air in the system first.  You might turn the heat on full (thermostats, not the fans necessarily) and drive the car around some.  Then let it cool off enough to depressurize, and remove the reservoir cap to let it cool completely.  Add coolant as needed.  Might try that.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: 230sl temperature gauge
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 15:17:17 »
There has been a lot written about air in the cooling system, so try the main search function to see what all you might find.

Another approach is to find an incline nearby, when the car is cool drive there. Then with the front of the car on the high side of the incline open the overflow tank (why you should start this with the car cool) and let the system burp. Again, try the search.

The main search is the fourth item in the row beginning with "Home" it searches the entire forum. The search under the club logo will only search the topic you are currently on.

I used "cooling burp" with no quotes, and got a short list of hits - easy to read through.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 15:39:07 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor