Author Topic: Attention Parts Geeks - Hazard flasher switch?  (Read 6751 times)

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
Attention Parts Geeks - Hazard flasher switch?
« on: October 21, 2018, 14:52:35 »
I want to convert my turn signal and hazard flashers into a single solid state relay that will handle both.  But I need a good way to turn on the hazard flasher.  Does anyone know of a push-pull switch with a shaft/thread the same size as the regular flasher relay, meaning that it can use the escutcheon and knob from the standard hazard relay?  Maybe from a 108 or 110/111?

I thought about simply using the standard hazard relay as a switch, but there is 18 ohms resistance across the contacts that close (30 and R) when the switch is pulled out.  Cleaning the contacts did not make a difference.

TIA and cheers,

CT
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Attention Parts Geeks - Hazard flasher switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 20:03:59 »
Dear Chuck,

There is nothing easier than that. ;D ;)
This relay does already exist. 8)
It's a Bosch relais called by name with:

0 335 240 002 (regular flasher/hazard relay)
or
0 335 240 003 (more powerful flasher/hazard relay for trailer hitch-ed cars)

Was used on all 280 SLs/8 after serial 012089.
MB part number A001 544 95 32.

Plenty of these around since they were used on W114/115/108 etc. cars.

See here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Bosch+0+335+240+002&_sacat=0

Good luck !

Achim

(who did this conversion and could not be happier than with this unit)
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 20:05:36 »
Hello Chuck,

Well,
I do have also a conversion instruction - if you need :D ;D
- albeit written in German ;)

(see Google translator)

... but the pics help a lot.

Best,

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:30:50 »

I do have also a conversion instruction - if you need :D ;D
- albeit written in German ;)

I would be very interested in the conversion instructions.  Will you send them to me?
thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 13:43:04 »
Achim,

Based on your information, and Chuck's details on VIN, wouldn't his restored 280SL already have this?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 06:53:27 »
I'd also like to put a hazard switch in when Dan and his team install the wiring in my 230SL soon. My search attempt didn't bring up a relevant link. Is there a thread or an entry in the Technical Manual that explains how to do this?
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

wayne R

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:39 »
Hi  Chuck , hope you dont mind me mentioning this on your post,.
I am going to fit this old ,Brite Vue hazard  light switch on my  june 1965 230SL
in about a month.
Over the years i have fitted these on  numerous  classics, Brite Vue was one of the best American made
ones, and they are fairly easy to fit,  my 65 was built on june  65,so missed the factory ones by a couple months.
Also   in todays  busy enviroment i feel a lot safer with hazard lights,as i use mine in my corolla daily driver
all the time.

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 16:04:14 »
Sorry, got behind on reading replies. 

Yes, my car is a US model, so it has the hazard flasher relay installed.  But it has stopped working.  I have checked for power and ground, and cleaned the contacts.  I also had the turn signal flasher fail last year.  Getting tired of depending on NLA mechanical relays.   So I would like to replace both with an integrated unit like this one:

https://www.wehrle-electronics.com/en/trade/flasher-units-and-led-flasher-units/passenger-cars-without-trailer/4755_73567_shop_Flasher-Unit-12V-2-4x21W.aspx?LNG=en#!prettyPhoto

If you provide a ground to Pin "Wb", the flashers operate.  I need a switch that will fit in the hole and accepts the knob to do this so it will appear authentic.  So far no luck, so I may need to have another go at repurposing the existing switch despite the built-in resistance.

Cheers,
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 22:17:38 »
Yes, my car is a US model, so it has the hazard flasher relay installed.  But it has stopped working.  I have checked for power and ground, and cleaned the contacts.  I also had the turn signal flasher fail last year.  Getting tired of depending on NLA mechanical relays.   
Do you mean this relay?
I have a bunch of used ones.
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:02:48 »
I am going to fit this old ,Brite Vue hazard  light switch on my  june 1965 230SL
in about a month.

Sure ... it's an easy purchase in your country perhaps...
But I wouldn't use it - never.  >:(
Why should I ?
Although a nice beautiful piece, it's not original to our cars but clearly an aftermarket unit
and _will look_ different under or especially _on_ our dashboards.
I clearly did not want to have something like that on my untouched/un-drilled juvenile 230 dashboard. And clearly I did not want to use any different "aftermarket" connectors other than the factory original Kostal plugs that are around all over on our cars.  8)
Instead, I clearly prefered the "like original" looks that Mercedes chose back then,
and that's why I went with one of those original Bosch flashers I mentioned above....
...  ooops, below I mean.

But each to his own  ??? ;)
But in such case don't tell me something about yellow dotology or original hose clamps on your car/s if you are using such non-original clearly odd-looking aftermarket parts on your car.
 :D ;D

Achim
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:37:51 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:23 »
Achim,
Based on your information, and Chuck's details on VIN, wouldn't his restored 280SL already have this?

Dear Chuck (and others),
Michael is right with his objection.
Based on your VIN in your signature your 280 should have only one relay which does both: trunsignal function _plus_ hazard function.

If so ... and yours doesn't work properly, then you just have to replace the 48 year old relay by a new or otherwise younger used one.
You will achieve best result with the switch I mentioned above:
the Bosch 0 335 240 002 - that _is_ the original Mercedes-Benz system.
And this one also takes the round knob and escutcheon that are already on your old switch.
Just replace it and fine ....

But ...
if your car from whatever weird reasons, which I currently do not understand from your serial (013047 is _after_ the switch over to the new one-for-all relay 0 335 240 002), has still _two_ relays ... one for the turnsignal function (the old round three-pin film-roll relay under the dashboard) _plus_ an additional hazard-function-only relay in your dashboard...

... then you should replace it with the one I mentioned above.
In that latter case, you have an add-on-plugged-in additional extra wiring harness that attaches the hazard-flasher-only relay to the existing wiring loom and cuts in that extra function of the harzard flasher into the regular turnsignal function.
Either you relplace one of those two malfunctioning both relays with an unbroken unit
or
you switch over to the one-for-all turnsignal+hazard-flasher relay that I mentioned above.
That is what I highly recommend to do to you. ... and that is basically the setup Mercedes used on the later cars.
However, in this case you have to modify a bit your standard wiring harness because the new one-in-all needs a six-pin plug instead of the old 3-pin plug system
 (L(eft = black-white wire), R(ight : black-green wire) and constant current 30 (red wire from fuse 1) need to be spliced in into the new plug.)

Or have I completely misunderstood you and you want something else which neither of the factory-original systems could provide.
E.g. working together with LEDs or so.

Either way, I highly recommend to use 21W bulbs only, not more 18W bulbs.
The 21W's give you a brighter flash and that is safer to you because you are better recognized by the others in the traffic.

I am sure one of Scoot's relays will work.
But you have to make sure that it is one that can do both: turnsignal function _and_ hazard flasher.
Not all of them can that.

Good luck
& keep us informed.

Achim

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:46:14 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 15:42:03 »
I have both hazard (26) and turn signal relays (12), as shown in the attached wiring diagram for later US cars.  They are interconnected, 49a on turn signal to 54a on hazard. When the flashers are turned on, the interconnection is disabled. The turn signals will not work if the hazard relay is removed.   Exactly how this works is beyond my electrical ability.

But like I tried to explain before, I don't like being dependent on half-century-old safety components.  The need for dependable flashers came to me as I was driving my Ponton, which does not have flashers, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at night.   So I am going to try and replace both with a single modern unit, while preserving the originality of the dash switch.  Wehrle also makes an LED compatible unit, so I may go with that and solve two problems at once.

Thanks for the offer, Scoot, I may take you up on one.

Cheers,

Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

wayne R

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 23:51:39 »
Hello Achim, yes i understand re not original  in dash,on my  1965 Buick Riviera i fitted hazard switch in glove box,
the other was  a  1958 Porsche 356 speedster, under dash,that was a car i had to have  hazard lights on.   
That is a 1971 280SL i owned in New Zealand, was in the last 300 built, and yes i know we all say this, a car
i should have never sold.
The Riviera i drove all over America ,and would keep pace  and plus with any modern car, CA residents -- note the
personalized plates you will know where that sign is.regards.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 00:12:00 by wayne R »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 23:57:05 »
So still hoping to get retrofit instructions from someone in German or in English....
thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

wayne R

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 00:34:06 »
Scott,Try find a good reliable auto Electrician, he should be able  to  fit modern safer ,
relay, not at the switch, but seperate so that the Mercedes switch still shows on dash,
with modern ,smaller ,higher amps relay in behind dash.---regards.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 00:35:11 »
Scott,Try find a good reliable auto Electrician, he should be able  to  fit modern safer ,
relay, not at the switch, but seperate so that the Mercedes switch still shows on dash,
with modern ,smaller ,higher amps relay in behind dash.---regards.
Someone posted in this thread that they have instructions.  That's what I'm looking for.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:19:46 »
I'd like to add a hazard-flasher to my 230SL when the wiring gets done, but I really don't want a switch -- authentic or otherwise -- to show on the dashboard. Any thoughts on a good alternative to that?
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 12:01:10 »
I'd like to add a hazard-flasher to my 230SL when the wiring gets done, but I really don't want a switch -- authentic or otherwise -- to show on the dashboard. Any thoughts on a good alternative to that?

Factory-original setup on a Feb-1966 230 SL - US version

Achim
(Germany)