Author Topic: Any TV or electronics gurus out there??  (Read 5822 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Any TV or electronics gurus out there??
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:35:50 »
Yeah, this is way off topic but knowing we have a diverse group here I'd thought I'd post the question.

I just bought a bunch of cheap little "boxes" on Amazon for my 96 year old father who just bought a brand new TV when his died. The TV he bought did not have enough HDMI ports, and no analog audio out, and no analog in. So he couldn't connect everything the way it was on the old TV. So, little converter boxes were the answer.

So, this is what I bought for him. First, an HDMI switch, which takes four HDMI inputs and sends them to one output. Now, he has everything connected.  Second, a digital to analog audio converter, which takes the TOSLINK fiber optic digital audio out from the TV and converts to analog audio, for his headphones. Lastly, a composite analog to digital HDMI converter which connects his old VHS recorder to an HDMI input so he can still watch his old tapes. It all works perfectly! These little converter boxes cost between $10 and $20 each. Perfect, cheap solutions.

So what's MY question and problem?  My largest TV at home had the HDMI inputs blow out during an electrical storm. The TV display is fine, and I actually moved it to a room in my home with an old fashioned antenna; reception is perfect. The antenna is connected with a coax connector. But, I'd like to be able to use this with an HDMI input--but as noted they are all dead. So, what I'm looking for is something that would convert an HDMI (output) to a coaxial antenna input. It can't be expensive of course, else I'd just buy a new television.

Years ago, before manufacturers started putting inputs of any kind on a TV, when you had a VCR they plugged into the antenna and you had to tune your TV to "channel 3" or some other unused channel. So, these kinds of things are possible. Just don't know if they exist, and if they are in that same cheap price point as all the other converter boxes I just bought!

The problem is I don't know what I'm looking for--I don't know if it has a name, and thus my searching has been fruitless.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Any TV or electronics gurus out there??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 15:34:10 »
This should help 😜😜😜

http://bfy.tw/Jh97

Monoprice.com might have them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 15:50:11 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:54:05 »
Your looking for HDMI to a QAM  modulator. Many available, but most cost more than a new TV. One also might wonder if cheap options will be HDCP complaint, meaning it might not work with an HDCP device like a cable box or DVD player etc.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/hd-modulator

https://www.amazon.com/ZeeVee-ZvPro810-Video-Distribution-Modulator/dp/B00IMN1VCI
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 23:42:43 by specracer »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 15:10:22 »
This will do exactly what you want for ~$40. No more, no less.
Just keep in mind that any type of cheap converter that uses an off air coax output will degrade the quality to SD (standard definition). There is no way around this as the TV tuner only pulls uhf/vhf. Cheap Converter boxes with DTV (high def) output on coax simply do not exist as there would be no reason to do so with a functioning HDMI port on the TV (hence your issue) What other inputs besides HDMI (if any) do you have on the TV. S-Video, Component?
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-hdmi-to-coax-adapter?variant=26394140752&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGPbwikexxmfvosGEBeP2BngiYLDJRemSeFzw0RGzTVcAK2vrHJwWMBoCJ4QQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 14:10:23 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 23:32:54 »
The modulators I suggested are HD (hence the expense). I would have to assume if trying to connect HDMI, the desire is to have HD, vs SD.

I do like the SVHS reference. And the days when we debated which components comb filter was better, and if to use SVHS or composite.

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 23:41:35 »
Not exactly. VHF has been reclaimed by the FCC, UHF now carries digital terrestrial digital HD signals. In fact these are BY FAR the best picture you can get, hands down, as it's uncompressed 1080i or 720p (all cable and satellite companies compress their signals to some degree). Terrestrial HD is breathtaking quality. If a TV has an HDMI input, it for sure has a QAM tuner (digital HD RF input), as QAM distribution started before HDMI (component days).

Just keep in mind that any type of converter that uses an off air coax output will degrade the quality to SD (standard definition). There is no way around this as the TV tuner only pulls uhf/vhf.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 14:07:45 »
Ok will insert “cheap” into said context

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 14:56:42 »
I'm narrowing things down a bit but still don't know if what I want is made. But in some further searching I'm not the only one asking...

Tyler, yes speracer is correct. OTA, or terrestrial DTV HD signals are HD and astounding quality. Any SD or 480p solution isn't viable. Though it's an older TV, it is 1080p, 16:9 aspect ratio, and the picture is great. The only HD inputs are HDMI and the antenna. I don't believe the S-Video and the Composite inputs (RCA jack) support HD.

Pawel, SDI is serial digital interface, that's not the same signal that an antenna generates as input to a TV. So, those SDI converters won't work. (but the price is right and they are the right size!!)

Mr. Fat Boy, well that was funny just for the amusing animation. Didn't help me as I'd done that many time with slightly different search criteria already before coming here.

http://a.co/d/gNabTsi  Now I know that what I'm looking for is an "HDMI to RF Converter (or modulator)" That box will do the trick but not certain of how bad the picture will be...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 16:00:26 »
Nope, composite, and SVHS are not HD. The only analog HD, will be component (the red green blue RCAs) or RGB. your TV doesnt happen to have a DB-15 VGA " computer" connection?

HDMI to QAM (modulator) picture quality  should be acceptable. The most common application that comes to mind is a bar / restaurant where they can have just a few cable boxes, then easily distributed to many TV's. Much cheaper than a matrix switcher.

I don't believe the S-Video and the Composite inputs (RCA jack) support HD.

http://a.co/d/gNabTsi  Now I know that what I'm looking for is an "HDMI to RF Converter (or modulator)" That box will do the trick but not certain of how bad the picture will be...

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 18:13:13 »
...your TV doesn't happen to have a DB-15 VGA " computer" connection?

Why yes it does. Have never used it, thus I don't know if it works.

During an electrical storm in May, all the HDMI ports blew out, as well as the HDMI switch I was using. I tested them all repeatedly, even left the television unplugged for a day, but still no HDMI. That means no cable box, no Roku, no Blu-Ray. So I moved the TV to a bedroom where we have a good old fashioned antenna. Since all the local stations broadcast HDTV OTA, it's fine but if I could move this back downstairs (where a Roku connection is a requirement) I'd be happier.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 19:21:04 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 20:04:13 »
Yes I know OTA digital is HD 1080. I am referring to an adaptors output. Because the original question stated was looking for a low cost. You wont find one that outputs digital UHF for a reasonable price. May as well replace the set. The talk of hooking up vcr’s etc led me to believe quality was not a concern.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 13:15:31 »
I'm hoping this device will do the trick:

http://a.co/d/hWH2ozb

I'm hoping that the SVGA or VGA DB15 input to the television works. I have not had a device that uses that format since my last Windows laptop...about 10 years ago or more, so I have no way of testing it. But, the TV has this input, and the price is right so we'll give it a go.

Thanks for the insights Tyler and speracer.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 23:28:52 »
Happy to help, almost 30 years in the AV business.

I have my fingers crossed that this non rules following device with regard to HDCP (high-bandwidth digital copy protection).

Hope it works!!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:01 »
I have my fingers crossed that this non rules following device with regard to HDCP (high-bandwidth digital copy protection).

In the Amazon review section, there were well over a hundred answered questions, and a number of them indicated first hand experience that it will work with a Roku (my one and only goal with this). So, my fingers are crossed, too. Some outlier said it didn't work with a Roku, and it burned out their Roku stick...but I think they were trying to connect to a PC or Laptop, not a Television. I suppose it depends on the television.

My older Sharp is a weird one--for example, the digital audio out (Toslink) only provides a signal for audio generated internally via the tuner. Thus, if you have any kind of modern soundbar connected via the fiber link, and your audio/video source is external (cable box, Roku, Apple TV, blu-ray, etc.) then no audio is passed. Brilliant engineering...NOT!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 23:07:33 »
Welcome to my world.

If you want to extract the audio out of the HDMI signal before getting to the TV, this will do it. It works, we have used it several times.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 14:15:56 »
I did have my ideal setup for about a year or so, that ended in May with a typical midwest electrical storm. No real damage outside anywhere, just invisible power surge that fried my HDMI switch (that had a Toslink audio extractor built in), as well as fried all the HDMI ports in my television. I went to my other house at one point in the summer and all the HDMI ports appeared dead on my newish SmartTV there, but luckily, they did wake up after being unplugged for a while. Conclusion: HDMI is way too sensitive to external forces to earn the name "robust". Too many darn issues with it. An online forum search yields I'm not the only one with overly sensitive HDMI issues.

So, my soundbar sits unused and I wait until we update the TV before investing any more money into it. As with many folk, due to the sizing, updating a TV also requires updated furniture and that's the larger issue...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 14:34:10 »
HDMI is light years ahead from where it was.... We held on to component for a LONG time after HDMI came. It worked, you could distribute it, it was perfect. Time moves on, and so does content, and copy protection. HDMI is here to stay. The "analog sunset" has long since happened.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 15:48:52 »
Yeah, that's all well and good. But when these inputs (HDMI) can't outlive the device they are attached to, usually significantly larger and more complex, than a lesson in robust electronic design is needed, instead of thrifting. I'm not criticizing anything but how robust the hardware is to external forces; how strong it is against these forces before a perfectly usable TV becomes landfill because the inputs don't work. Static happens. Power surges happen. Search the infinite audio, video, TV, HD, etc. forums and you'll see what I mean. If my TV were 5 years old instead of 10 it would be landfill because it is unlikely it would have many alternative inputs. Many today are simply 2 or 3 HDMI and that's it. Once they go, the TV is toast.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 21:54:47 »
PM or e-mail me if I can help in any way further