Author Topic: Introduced the Blue Tornado to the Silver Arrow  (Read 4656 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Introduced the Blue Tornado to the Silver Arrow
« on: August 23, 2018, 15:39:13 »
Yesterday I interduced my Blue Tornado to his Big Brother the Silver Arrow, they never meet ant I fealt it was high time since they both live in different parking stalls. Looks like the had a nice chat :) while I looked after some minor cleaning issues.

Dieter

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: Introduced the Blue Tornado to the Silver Arrow
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 15:52:04 »
 Great photos Dieter. You truly have two beautiful automobiles. I have often said to my wife if our old SL and '15 C300 parked next to each other have "chats" in the garage when we are not around ;D. Not sure if the Alabama built 300 understands much German though.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 17:09:18 »
Hi John,

Funny you should mention the chating between an American and German Oldtimer car. When I found my car in the spring of 2013 I found her in a well climate controlled garage. As you can see in the pictures part of 2 American Oldtimer cars are somewhat visable. The former owner of my now Blue Tornado had it parked in his garage amount 17 other American Oldtimers from the 50s and 60s the cars were parked back to back the garage had 5 double garage overhead doors.

When I first saw the Blue Tornado I asked the owner “Loyd, how can you park this German Squarehead together here in this garage with all those American Oldtimer cars, they must be arguing all the time”

He replied “Dieter, the car is for sale, i purchased her in 1992 for my wife and she returned her to me in a divorce settlement a few years ago” he was 81 when I meet him. He went on “besides, I need the space for another 1955 car that is nearing restoration completion at RM” I purchased the Blue Tornado a few months later Loyd made me an offer I could not refuse :)

Loyd passed away last April, May he RIP. I learned that his son since sold most of his car collection.

Dieter

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 19:13:23 »
The topic of vehicles in the garage talking to one another came up at a recent motorcycle group meeting.   It was determined at that time that vehicles do indeed talk to one another and that I needed to get a mediator / translator in there - we figure my British car is getting bullied by the crotchety old body building American motorcycle, the German car refuses to acknowledge the Japanese bikes and to top it off there is a whiny little Italian Harley Davidson that nobody understands.   

My buddy said that he had to take two of his Italian motorcycles out of the garage and put them in his living room because they were not playing well with the lesser cars and motorcycle in his garage.   He says they run much better now.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 22:26:28 »
Who says that the denizens of our garages, docks and hangars don't talk to each other? Here are two jumbo jets cracking a joke and having a good laugh!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 22:48:07 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just perfect, Mike....!

couldn't be any better and realistic.
 ;)
Just superb !

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 15:28:54 »
Nice to go topless by just the push of a button when the sun is out. The Pagoda somehow looks more complete with the removable hardtop on here and then when I find a helping hand i’ll take her topless too :) I wonder what the two are whispering about might it be “[2011] he takes me more often now” “[1969] it will wear off after a while and he will take me on those long road trips, he knows I will not let him down, besides I use less gas then you” “[2011] hahaha” :) I wonder. This was a nice meet for them on a sunny day and since they are parked in different parking stalls they don’t know when I take one or the other or can they tell by the exhaust sound mmmm I wonder. Guess I’ll never know will I now.\

I better treat them both the same

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 16:29:14 »
... here are some Pagodas having a chat during the GWS Holiday Party last year.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:33:19 »
Very few language difficulties here:

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 12:16:45 »
I currently have my '67 Citroen DS and my '71 SL sharing the same garage. Hopefully, their relation is inspired by the Delon-Schneider romance. After all, a goddess and a pagoda together look to be something natural.

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 12:21:15 »
Nice to go topless by just the push of a button when the sun is out.

That also happens in the dark sometimes...

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 12:59:08 »
That also happens in the dark sometimes...

Oh yes, also when it gets cooler the fans blowing warm air will make it quite nice in the SL 63 :)

Dieter