Author Topic: Escaping the crowds  (Read 3698 times)

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
Escaping the crowds
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:12:52 »
As the peão Sommer season is here .... Avoiding the costal roads and heading to secondary hilly roads -  Cascais to Sintra ( long back road option ) , Portugal.
Doing 3 to 4 drives per week now ... And the car seems to run much better!

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
Re: Escaping the crowds
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:15:03 »
Meant to say "peak " summer season .... Portuguese auto correct was on...

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 15:53:27 »
 Beautiful photos. Those are the kind of roads that I (and my Pagoda) love.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 23:00:20 »
Beautiful photos. Those are the kind of roads that I (and my Pagoda) love.

Indeed
Beautiful scenery in the forest, almost like a primeval forest.
Beautiful car as well, PSB, a very nice unmolested survivor (from what I can see),
this is by far less common for a 230 than for a 280.  ;)

However,
I do not like so much the rural kind of roads you chose .... those are already too rural for me,
going over into kind of gravel/mud roads which (my car's) undercarriage clearly dislikes... :o

Furthermore, with these kind of rural and (back-)forrest-like roads I am always scared that a Scania (or Peterbilt if you like that one more) comes from the opposite direction just behind the curve with a truck-load full of timber and slighlty a little bit too fast...
Eeek...  :o :-X

Good luck for your beautiful scenery
and enjoy the summer !

Achim[/size]
(awaiting the EE 2018 in September)
Achim
(Germany)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 14:29:39 »
 I agree with Achim, only paved roads for me as well. We do have some logging trucks to contend with once in a while but since most of the forests in California have burned to the ground, that won't be much of a problem anymore. This statement is an exaggeration of course, but it has been hellish summer here in the golden state. Many thanks to all the Fire Fighters from through out the US, Canada (who has it own fires in BC to contend with) and even Australia/New Zealand for their help in fighting these ferocious fires. The rains can not come soon enough.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 17:43:49 »
Achim,
Thanks the car is fairly  "unmolested" as far as no major restoration was done and bodywork was all there and good .
The road is not gravel or sand even though it does look like it in the pictures.... It's 100% tarred road however the tar has seen better days as is quite cracked. I wouldn't take the car "off-road" .
As regards other cars or log laden Scanias it is always a concern for me but in 4 drives through there I only crossed 1 car !!! No logging slowed. Suppose it only takes one vehicle to mess things though. Funnily enough its bicycles that concern me more ...those I come across a few every time ...and some adrenalin junkies speeding down the sides in mountain bicycles through paths in the woods and "fly" accross the road.
But it is just so peaceful and beautiful , better temperature and don't have the sun beating down on me.