Author Topic: Mirror Glass Question  (Read 1430 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Mirror Glass Question
« on: August 19, 2018, 15:54:51 »
I recently installed a mirror on the passengers door of my 71.  As part of my purchase, I ordered concave mirrors as per the recommendation of so many members.  My mechanic installed the mirror about 2 months ago and when I cleaned out my trunk, I came across the boxes with mirrors in them.  I was under the impression that my mechanic swapped out the mirrors and placed the concave ones in the mirror but since I was driving for 2 months with what was in there, that I simply got used to what was there. 

When I had my son place the "other mirrors" from the box in front of the existing ones, I noticed that everything was clearer and more importantly, closer.  I hate to ask this question, but is there a way to know which ones are the "better ones"? My initial instinct was--what does it matter, if the closer ones are clearer then it doesn't matter ?  Right?
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Mirror Glass Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 18:16:09 »
Steven, it's only a matter of personal choice.

The convex mirrors offer a wider field of view, and as you know, are standard on all cars today.

My personal feeling is that the field of view in BOTH mirrors with stock glass in them is pretty bad, thus I changed them bot the the convex.  I still find myself wanting a larger field of view.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid