Author Topic: Speedo problem  (Read 2504 times)

Gary Gillen

Speedo problem
« on: August 06, 2018, 16:43:52 »
Hi can anyone please help me my Speedo it has stopped working I was wondering how to get at it from the back because I have had a look and there’s not much room to do anything maybe someone has a few tips to get me started my car is 1967 250sl thanks g Gillen.

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
Re: Speedo problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 17:28:08 »
You might want to check your speedocable first,
Just disconnect the cable from your transmissionbox and use a handdrill to drive your cable. To be absolutely sure do try your handdrill reverse too.

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 17:47:02 »
 Hi,
Btw the removal of speedo and revcounter is one of the ugliest tasks you can do. I did it several times and in my opinion this is the most convenient way to do it even "convenient" is not the right word for it.
- Remove the steering wheel and driver seat, use something to bridge the seat supports e.g. with some blankets or styrofoam
- While on your back resting your head near the pedals, reach with one arm behind the dash and the revcounter unit to locate (blind and feel) the single knurled nut holding the  bracket (for LHD revcounter has to come out first)
- Remove the knurled nut and revcounter cable, push it forward to remove the light wiring
- Now you can remove the revcounter. Now you see the central cluster which can be pushed a little bit forward by removing a 2 knurled srew bracket. Be cautious with the temperature gauge line, it could be removed only at the engine side, so leave it alone.
- From behind the central cluster you can see the speedometer and his fixings same as revcounter.
Here you find more infomations: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/RevCounter.
...WRe

Gary Gillen

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 20:27:39 »
Thanks we are doing it next week! I am not looking faword to it but thank you for the tips .

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 20:48:44 »
If the speedo and odo were working and just suddenly quit, I'm going to second the suggestion of checking the speedo cable first. First, while it is not exactly a walk in the park, it is a whole lot easier to replace the cable than it is to extract the speedo.  Second, even if it is the instrument, you will want to replace the cable anyway.  When I sent my speedo and tacho out to Palo Alto to be serviced when the tacho started intermittently squealing at speed they told me that their guarantee was null and void unless I acquired and installed new M-B speedo and tacho cables when reinstalling the instruments.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Coochas

• Regular
  • USA, MA, Sudbury
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 21:58:04 »
Hi,
Btw the removal of speedo and revcounter is one of the ugliest tasks you can do.

Oh yeah.  I have a few scars on my hands from reaching up inside the dash but at the end of it all it was rewarding!  For anyone in the US, I had Palo Alto Speedo recondition my speedo and tach and they did a fabulous job.

1971 280SL Signal Red
Dave B.
Sudbury, MA USA