Author Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring  (Read 1787 times)

Steve.k

Tire Pressure Monitoring
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:35:18 »
I just “installed” a tire pressure monitoring system and thought I’d share with everyone since it’s pretty cool and is easily removed for “correctness”.

I’m planning to do a 3day ‘rally’ organized by Classic Car Adventures and then I saw this TPMS on Massdrop and it was only $69.99 so I thought I’d give it a try.   

It comes with four valve caps and a little display that plugs in the lighter.   I ‘installed’ it in the time it takes to swap out the valve caps and plug in the receiver. It immediately recognized the sensors and displayed the pressure in the tires.   It can also display tire temperature. If pressures get too low or too high, it will set off an alarm.   

I drove around for a bit today and you can see the pressures rise as the tires warm up.  Very cool.  I’m hugely impressed with it.   For long trips, it’s nice to be able to keep an eye on the tire pressures. 

Just to be clear, I’m not associated with the manufacturer, supplier, or anything related.   Just a cool, useful device at a descent price.   

Here’s some photos

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 02:03:05 »
I have used that same system on my 4x4 VW camper and it worked when i was in a very remote part of Australia to warn me that I was losing pressure on a front tyre. Unfortunately the tyre had been punchered badly in several spots from the very sharp rocky road and not repairable.

Then about 50 miles further on had another waning alarm but this time it was one of the sensoers that had failed and wouldl not correct or reset its self thus making the whole system fail due to not being able to stop the warning alarm going off all the time.

Unfortunately when only one of the caps fail, you are not able to just buy one replacement and must buy a whole new system.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:48:51 »
I could see that being vey useful for trailer or RV tires where sometime you don't feel a problem until it is too late.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:02:14 »
There are a number of these for sale on Amazon, and at least one brand offers replacement sensors. The price point is pretty low and in many cases seem to be lower than a single high-quality in-the-tire OEM TPM module...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 19:16:40 »
I was given four valve caps that show green when the tire pressure is OK and the green stripe goes away when the tire pressure sinks below 30 PSI. I don't know who sells them.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA