Author Topic: What about a ZIL?  (Read 3670 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
What about a ZIL?
« on: July 17, 2018, 13:48:28 »
Given that our little cars may soon turn into national security threats, I started looking into more compatible exotic models. The latest developments on the international scene led me to look into cars from the cold, and I must say some of them look quite good, like this ZIL of the 50s:

Or what about this Volga convertible:

They even have some "re-imagined" cars like we have on the West Coast. I really like this GAZ Hot Road:

They also have Ladas, but I guess that being of Italian origin, they may be a bit too EU connoted :

The latest state limousine looks really good, though one can note some strong British influence. I guess its "friend or foe" status will depend on how the Brexit turns out:

I heard this Aurus is longer than the US Presidential Beast. So who knows, we may soon see a fleet of them at the White House. It may even be a world security priority, as the car needs to be large enough for our stable genius not to sit on the world's biggest nuclear button by accident.

Hopefully, a ferry line will open soon between Vladivostok and Anchorage to celebrate this new friendship, and so that we can import all these marvels. Canada's weak leadership may let us drive through without too many problems.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 19:25:18 by GGR »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: What about a ZIL?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 13:51:35 »
For some reason, GGR, none of the photos you supplied came through.

However, speaking of ZIL, friends of mine were posted to Moscow a few years ago, working for GM. They are certified car nuts and collectors. They were on the lookout for some ZIL limos and related, but most of those interesting cars were exceedingly expensive IF you could find them. Finding them was the hard part. They had at least two years of looking and nothing worthy came up.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 14:04:44 »
Just sorted out the photos. I had copied the wrong links. I guess it is the emotion of seeing all the world's issues being so masterfully sorted out.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 15:58:00 »
I thinks heads cool down when you start driving those interestingly looking cars...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 16:02:57 »
I thinks heads cool down when you start driving those interestingly looking cars...

That's good news. One more reason to equip the White House with the latest Russian technology.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 20:38:35 »
Uncertain whether the Ford came in a 4-door convertible like the Zil shown, but there sure is a resemblance between the Ford Custom 300 and Fairlane 500s of the late 1950s with that ZIL. At that time the Russians were copying everything, so it's not surprising.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 21:30:02 »
Michael, of course!

It is a known story here! A lot of Russian cars from 40ies and 50ies were rip-offs of American cars! What was changed was the parts that their industry could not copy (too advanced) or nobody would be able to service (like a local blacksmith in Northern Syberia) or those that could not stand the usage conditions.

It started from agreement between the USSR and Ford before the war (Ford A) as the SU had to import some technology from somewhere. Then there was Ford B and then they did not bother with licence agreements and took whatever they wanted from Ford or GM (US or Europe).

Then in 60ies and 70ies their agreements with Fiat were decent licence agreements again (Fiat 124 - Lada).
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class