Author Topic: Bodywork Begins  (Read 7469 times)

jaymanek

Bodywork Begins
« on: June 18, 2018, 18:48:45 »
A few years ago I noticed some tiny pimples in the paint.

After showing our bodyshop it was confirmed that this is caused by trapped moisture in the paint.

I hadnt had the car fully painted in my ownership, so it was from a long time ago.

This year we decided to tackle it. We were hoping it would be under just the top layer. Unfortunately the moisture was found to be on the metal.

So its a bare metal respray. Only the left side seems to have these spots but we will remove all the paint.

Its going to take some time to remove all the paint.

So far the body looks good. The bodyshop says they found filler where there was none necessary! No dent or corrosion at all.
Weird what some bodyshops do.

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Re: Bodywork Begins
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:49 »
Your body looks in good condition.  Do you think this is the original paint?  Seems a shame it couldn't be repaired without a re-spray :(

I take it you are leaving the interior?  I don't blame you looking at the number of parts you would need to strip...  My car is totally stripped at the moment while I work on the Body the vast majority was done by a previous owner whom gave up. 

I would be interested in knowing who you are going to use for repainting and how they go about reducing any more moisture entrapment under the paint.  I shall be looking for someone similar next year assuming I can finish the body this year and I don't find too many other surprises. 

I like the colour of yours, it looks metallic.

Steve 
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

jaymanek

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 14:32:23 »
Hi Steve,

Im not touching the interior. My carpet is new. The hood is new. The seats are original MB Tex. The Dash top is covered in leather at the moment.. Someday I hope to find an original blue dash top to replace my cracked one.

The body is looking good so far. Havent got all the way around yet but so far, only very minor rust found.

The colour is Light Blue metallic.

Ill keep this thread up to date on progress. In terms of moisture, its simply a case of proper prep work and the use of the oven to bake each stage of the process.

Im told these issues occur if the stages are rushed.

I dont think the paint is original. I had front and rear panels done some years ago to remove the USA side markers...
It looks like the car could have been some other colour of blue at some point also...

It will be staying factory light blue for sure. I love the colour.

jaymanek

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:32:03 »

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:50:08 »
hi Jay,
One suggestion would be, that you now as you have a golden opportunity move the radio antenna to the more common front right wing position, as used by the factory.
Fill in the antenna hole at left rear wing.
/Hans S

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:03:49 »
I don't think I've ever taken the paint off a pagoda and not found any poor repairs to rectify or welding required!

Taleb

• Senior
  • USA, NY, SPRINGFIELD GARDENS
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 13:37:17 »
hi , although its difficult but  make sure they replace the fender notches as its ..

good luck

jaymanek

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 18:05:38 »
I thought that the antenna was a 230/250/280 thing?

Mine is a 280, I thought they were all at rear? I think it would be annoying to have it on the front in terms of visibility.

Fender notches... yes.. anyone have any definitive pictures that I can provide to my bodyshop?

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 20:24:20 »
Check out Technical Manual for antennas. Could be in the rear as well. I think, however, not being 100% sure, that as a factory option they might have been installed in the front. That is how mine came. It is fun to watch them as they slide out and in...

Enclosed a picture of a notch - Holy Grail, Motoring Investments.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 20:29:55 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mbzse

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:57 »
Quote from: Pawel66
.../...as a factory option they might have been installed in the front.../...
Just look at Pagoda sales literature (broschure pictures). All antennae are at right front wing position.
See a wide selection here: http://oudemercedesbrochures.nl/Engels_index.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:12:31 by mbzse »
/Hans S

jaymanek

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:46:57 »
Well looks like it should definitely be at the front.

In this case does anyone have a template or measurements as to the exact location of the hole and size?

mbzse

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:47 »
Quote from: jaymanek
.../...the exact location of the hole and size?
/Hans S

jaymanek

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 15:00:31 »
Im thinking leave it clean and just have a discrete windscreen antenna?

No antenna at all?

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 16:57:34 »
Gravity has certainly had its way with that woman in the background.....

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 21:36:51 »
What color code is it? I love the color but assumed is was blue-gray?

John
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 23:05:18 »
Well looks like it should definitely be at the front.

In this case does anyone have a template or measurements as to the exact location of the hole and size?

I think I saw in one of the posts on our site, that in the fender you can, actually, feel, underneath, the place where the antenna should be located. Not sure if I remember correctly.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mbzse

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 23:23:31 »
Quote from: Pawel66
.../... in the fender you can, actually, feel, underneath, the place where the antenna should be located
Alfred (66andblue) posted on this, w pictures
The info can be found in the Tech Manual:
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Antenna
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 13:05:32 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 23:32:56 »
Thanks!  :)

As we say: "I know the bell is tolling, just do not know in which church."
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

jaymanek

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 10:31:03 »
Well the link above says a late car should have it in the rear fender... Mine is a late 280SL so I believe it is correct already.

Colour - Light Blue Metallic.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 11:41:36 »
Well, to be precise: the Technical Manual material under this link does not say late cars should have it in the rear.

Quote: "A radio might have a manual or automatic antenna. Most antennas, especially manual antennas, were positioned on the passenger front fender. When automatic antennas became popular those were frequently installed on the driver side rear fender." And then: "The original Hirschmann automatic antennas that Mercedes sold for front fender mounting on a late 280SL (MB p/n 900 820 04 11) was a Hirschmann 6000-F58:".

I have the 1970 280SL with antenna as factory option and it is in the front.

Without being 100% sure, I think:
- factory - front
- subsequent (dealer on purchase or owner) - front or rear (some might have liked it this way, it is more convenient to install, some antennas, other than original Hirshman, just did not fit in the front? - I do not know)

I would have thought that if you have antenna option on the paint code plate - I would dig more to confirm where it can be/should be installed. If you do not have antenna as factory option, means it is subsequent installation, I would say rear is fine (if you do not have a factory Hirshman, it may not even fit in the front).
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

jaymanek

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 11:48:23 »
Ok. Thanks for the information. My antenna is Hirschmann but I doubt its the original one..

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 11:53:39 »
Here's a Becker document showing placement at the rear. On my own car, the antenna's on the front. I agree with Pawel's interpretation that both were possible, but that if it was done at the factory, it was at the front.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 13:57:55 »
Ok. Thanks for the information. My antenna is Hirschmann but I doubt its the original one..

You can very quickly verify that by looking at option codes either on your color code plate or datacard. In the Technical Manual you can find informaiton where to find these numbers on both color code plate and data card.

Then you have options numbers and their meanings also in the Technical Manual to see what options were ordered with your car.

If you have a radio in your options, there is a fair chance that it was dealer installed in the US. Then there is a fair chance as well that it was installed in the rear. I think we can say with high degree of probability that the radio was installed by the dealer in the US if ordered as option. I am not sure if we have proven information that antenna was installed by the dealer together with the radio (it is likely though).

I am not sure if we have enough info to say definitely what had to be the antenna place when dealer installed it before car was given to the owner.

I think (other Members, please correct me) that if you had no radio in options or if you had a radio in options - rear is ok unless there are numerous cases or documents suggesiting otherwise. If you have option 532 or 534 (just antenna), I think it might have been factory.

Another thing is - if your car has never had a body repair of the front right fender or both rear left/front right and if there is no trace of the antenna hole in the front fender - most likely the antenna has always been where it is.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

jaymanek

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 17:02:27 »
Thanks ill do some checking.

p.s. my car is original italian.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 09:45:52 »
Italian? That’s why the antenna is in the rear.  The original owner didn’t want anything to interfere with his view of Sophia Loren.