Author Topic: Constant speed solenoid missing parts  (Read 3655 times)

Steve.k

Constant speed solenoid missing parts
« on: June 06, 2018, 22:05:22 »
Hello all,

I’ve taken the next step with my 280 and embarked on the linkage tour.  Got through most of it until the constant speed solenoid.  Mine is a 1971 US model and the CSS is missing the brass adjusting nut and it seems to be missing the wiring.  It only has two wires on the top terminal that go into the device.  There are no external wires connected to it. 
Firstly, should there be external wires feeding it, and if so, where would they originate.
Secondly, does anyone know where to find the adjusting nut?  I’ve tried the usual vendors. 

I’d appreciate any assistance.   Idle drops from about 800 to below 500 when engaging drive. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 22:14:29 by Steve.k »

Thierry du Laos

Re: Constant speed solenoid missing parts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 03:08:32 »
Steve,
Go to a workshop and get it made!

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:03:16 »
The most important is if the CSS is pushing the rod and it has enough power to keep it pushed out. It is just 12V simple solenoid, you can try it with jumper wires to see if it works.

I have recently bought the brass adjusting nut, the rubber seal that goes on the rod and the black wire connector (just to make it look nice) at Mercedes Benz dealer with no issue. Make sure that the cut at the end of the rod for flat screw driver is clear. Make sure the adjusting nut and the counter nut turn on the rod freely (saves blood and sweat while adjusting).

I have also cleaned my CSS and repainted it. I have seen it yellow plated colour on most pictures, but I have seen it in different colours too (steel, black, etc.).

The CSS is activated when ground is delivered to it from hydraulic switches on the sides of the gear box - one for D, one for Reverse. In the Technical Manual you will see that it is powered from fuse No.5. Then ground, as I said, comes from those switches. You can see how these switches look like in the Technical Manual - on the same drawing where you have wiring and on the last picture of the gear box - the switch is over the label "22mm locknut". Other switch is same place on the other side of the gear box.

I modified the post as I thought the part numbers may be a bit hard to find for the MB "not Pagoda educated" dealer:

Adjusting nut A1309900050
Rubber collar A0019970681
Connector A0005467041

In the EPC they are under Engine, 07 Injection pump, 001 Injection pump.

The above is for Europe. I am not sure if US version cars had the same solution and had these switches on the gear box. CSS was used for AC as well. Someone told me constant speed while gear selecting was achieved by emission control system, but I am not sure about it. If it is true, maybe this system is not working properly - but again, I am not so familiar with the US versions.

If you need further details on the wiring, let me know, I will PM you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:36:49 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Steve.k

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:13 »
Pawel,

Thank you so much for the detailed response.  I had read all the posts on the CSS and learned that the wires originated at the transmission.  Since there’s no trace of them, I am assuming the previous owner disabled it or it was never connected to begin with.
I’ll drop by my local MB dealer today and see if they can get it for me.   
Thanks again Pawel.   As I’ve been reading through posts for each of my projects your name constantly pops up.   I appreciate your contributions and willingness to help a newbie out. 

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 14:37:49 »
Steve,

It is a pleasure.

Indeed I do not know if the CSS was hooked to transmission in your US car. Do you/did you have AC? If not, then it seems that the only reason for being for the CSS was transmission...

The wires to CSS come out from the main harness not far from coolant expansion tank. Maybe they are there - two of them in insulation. One of them to fuse 5, the other goes in the harness to the contact plate on the transmission.

The ground wire goes from the right hand side switch over transmission to the other switch on the left and to other side of the contact plate, where it meets the wire going to the CSS.

Check if you have the switches on transmission - without them it will not work. They are $$$, but available at Mercedes.

Take a look where these wires are going on the pic.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 15:19:42 »
If your car is not fitted with AC there are no wires running to the solenoid. Since yours is a late car (1971) there will be no wires from the transmission. Mine is a Sept 1969 production, with no wires.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Steve.k

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 16:45:14 »
Mine is an automatic but it also has the Frigiking A/C.  I'll follow Pawel's advice and look for the wire harness.  Thanks all again.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 17:48:30 »
If you had AC, chances are CSS was for AC. Check if you have the switches. If you do not have them, it should be possible to tune the car not to stall when gear is in and AC off. But I think with AC on, CSS should be engaging, but I am not sure. My car is 1970 and it had the wires, but it is Euro.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Steve.k

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 18:29:58 »
MB Canada has those parts for $45.85 and $43 CDN each.  ouch.   

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 04:16:55 »
https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/30-acc-linkage

There is a better world, but it looks different than original.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

rgafitanu@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 21:29:52 »
Steve, is this the piece that you need? I’ll send it to you for shipping cost only. It is from a spare but my setup is different for power steering actuated CSS.

Steve.k

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:15:58 »
Thanks Radu, that’s very kind of you.   I need to confirm that I have the wire terminals on the transmission. If they’re not there, there’s not much point.  However I can’t believe Mercedes would install the CSS if wouldn’t be used. 
Let me check underneath first.