Author Topic: Sticking Ignition Key Lock  (Read 1985 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Sticking Ignition Key Lock
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:43:57 »
Hello. So occasionally in the past as I turned my ignition key to start the car -- it would not budge -- due I imagine to the locking steering wheel (automatic). I would jiggle it some and it would go. Well the last few days it has become constant -- and is really stubborn about eventually turning. Helpless feeling. Is this something loose in the ignition module at the dash or does it have to do with the Park safety switch? Anybody have a clue what I am talking about??
James
63 230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Sticking Ignition Key Lock
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 22:04:43 »
Usually this is just because the driver has used the wheel as an assist grip to lever themselves out of the car and in the process the wheel has been turned enough for the wheel lock to engage.  When this happens the wheels have been turned from their at rest position just enough to bind the wheel lock mechanism.  All you should have to do is turn the wheel just a bit - it will only turn on one direction - and turn the key simultaneously as you move the wheel.  The key will turn normally.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:40:13 »
My experience with sticking key in ignition lock: be very careful there!

If you can really tell it is the steering lock that blocks it - ok, but then, indeed, as described below, just turning the steering wheel a bit before turning the key should help - it is quite normal.

But if it is the key is getting stuck in the tumbler - one should take it out and repair it as soon as possible. Someone said to me: if your key sticks once - take the lock out and fix it, do not wait because it will stick for good sooner or later. I ignored it and ended up on a lorry to take my car to the shop to fix it. Then it takes lots of blood, sweat, tears and distruction to remove ignition tumbler.

If you decide just to lubricate it a bit and see what happens - use a dry lubricant dedicated to tumblers! No WD40s or alikes. What waorks when you have nothing else at hand is to scrub a soft pencil against the cuts on the key. Graphite will lubricate it too.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 16:25:51 »
Encouraged by Mike, freaked out by Pawel. :-\

Mike you have explained the fairly typical way things have been for decades. On various occasions, having to do with the wheel lock, I have had to jiggle wheel a scosh to get the key to turn. The reason for my post was -- it seems to be happening more -- and sometimes, takes me many jiggs, to find the sweet spot.

Pawel. Oh boy... had you only posted a bit earlier! Since I drive the Pagoda a lot this time of year, the issue has been kind of pressing -- so, my amateur brain turned to - "shoot a little lubricant in there and see what happens!" Closest can was "Liquid Wrench"... shoot, am I screwed? Fact is, it really seemed to help.
James
63 230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 19:25:46 »
Do not despair... yet! ;)

Certainly any lubricant will help smoothen the key operation. And perhaps in your case it is enough.

Point is that the ordinary lubricants attract dust. This dust accumulates in the tumbler and over time forms a tough residue that blocks the key lock. That is why we use dedicated, dry lubricants for key locks.

My experience with ignition key locks is restricted to two W463 cars - one that got stuck completely, one that I saved.

Usually it is relatively easy to dismantle the ignition key lock when it is operating, you just need to know how to do it (Technical Manual describes it for 230SL). I do not know exactly what is happening in your case, but remembering one of my adventures, if I were you, I would take out the tumbler and have it cleaned and properly lubricated. If that does not help, I would have it rfurbished by a shop or replaced.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 19:38:29 »
Thanks Pawel. I think I understand what you mean. I will likely take your advice and put "remove & clean the tumbler and use the right lubricant" on the list. Boy that list never seems to end...
James
63 230SL