Author Topic: OFF TOPIC: Mini and Supercharged Cadillac  (Read 7679 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
OFF TOPIC: Mini and Supercharged Cadillac
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:08:15 »
Diversions for automotive minds...

1)  Honda VTEC Powered NEW/OLD Minis.  Too cool.  My wife says I can have one JUST AS SOON AS I SELL THE MERCEDES.  http://www.gomini.com/  Made in the USA and very very fast and fun.

2)  Supercharged Cadillac.  No laughing here--a lot of what Cadillac is offering today can keep pace with much of what Germany is shipping us.  So, if you don't like it don't buy it; but do take note if the thread on Supercharging has you thinking...Of interest to note to those dreaming of supercharging or turbocharging an M130 motor, note what Cadillac's engineers (as opposed to mechanics :) ) had to do with the strong and stable Northstar engine to accomodate supercharging:

• Added 4 Laminova cooling tubes in the intake manifold with a separate heat exchanger for them. http://www.laminova.se/
  • Increased cooling flow
  • Reinforced Engine Block
  • Oil cooled pistons
  • Strengthened Connecting Rods
  • Reduced Compression Ratio
  • Bore Reduction
  • Low Restriction Intake and Exhaust Systems
  • Polished Exhaust Ports
Sounds like a lot of work to me!!!  Perhaps that Honda VTEC engine can be put in our engine bay...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Malc

Re: OFF TOPIC: Mini and Supercharged Cadillac
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:18:32 »
Oh No!
Afraid people have been stuffing allsorts of engines in minis for years over here, including the Rover V8, still driving the front wheels even!!! No original drum brakes please!!!

As to the second vehicle - why bother supercharging an oil tanker??  ;)
Malc

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 14:03:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Malc

Oh No!
As to the second vehicle - why bother supercharging an oil tanker??  ;)

I've no allegiance for Cadillacs and never owned one, but this isn't a 1973 Sedan DeVille (that's an oil tanker) but quite a package indeed that the industry has taken note of--even those who only like BMW and the like.

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=ctsv

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Malc

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 14:36:05 »
I guess I was spoilt when I was young(last week)
I learned to drive in a mini and a series 2 Land Rover safari station wagon
I always remember racing a BMW in my aunt's mini ( borrowed with permission) I blew his doors off in the twisty bits, but he had me nailed on the straights!
I won 1990 Scottish Championship in a mini too, racing one is something else....
If anybody needs mini bits let me know, Old style mini's that is
If any of you in other parts of the world have a mini with a rotten body you can now buy a repro shell from British Motor Heritage, they use the original presses.....
Ah
memories
Malc
Sometimes I wish that MB would do the same, the front panel of the old girl crumbled when I pocked about the other day

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 14:57:01 by Malc »

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 19:54:51 »
I read the story on the Vtech Mini. Only that scary suspenion frightens me. Why would a mini driver want to race a SLR anyway? I think the factory or BMW is goingto go all wheel drive some time soon so that should give the mini some real rally potenical against the competition.

Bob Geco

Malc

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:44:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by krwaxbz

I read the story on the Vtech Mini. Only that scary suspenion frightens me. Why would a mini driver want to race a SLR anyway? I think the factory or BMW is goingto go all wheel drive some time soon so that should give the mini some real rally potenical against the competition.

Bob Geco

Bob,
If you get underneath the new mini (BMW's first front wheel drive car) you will see that it is set up to take 4 wheel drive already... Expect it would make them even more expensive than they are now
Malc

hauser

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 02:56:30 »
You can read about the upcomming changes to the Mini in the latest issue of Car & Driver magazine.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.