Author Topic: Calling Ontario, New York State, Michigan and Illinois Pagoda Drivers  (Read 6821 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Let’s Meet @ The 2018 Fleetwood Country Cruize-In

This being April 21, 2018 there are only 6 weeks to go till the fun begins here just outside London Ontario. Last year the event had nearly 3000 cars some old some very old classics.

There are special areas set aside for Cadillac, Corvettes, Mustangs, Fleetwood, Ford etc. I can arrange to set up a special area for the Pagoda if there is enough warning as to how many of you might be interested. We would all meet at a specified meeting place (Like near at a near by shopping centre), this way we would all arrive at the gate at the same time and would be directed to a specific parking spot.

The Location; is a beautiful Gulf Course just outside London Ontario, Canada.

Tickets; last year as I recall was $20.00 Canadian

The Event; will be Saturday June 2nd and Sunday June 3rd (11 KM from London City Centre)

Site ——> http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/2018.html

There will be cars of all makes, shapes and sizes. Mr. Steve Plunkett our host has a special Fleedwood Cadilac Museum (Auto Salon see link below, be sure to view the video clips also) on site were you will find some real oldies, in addition he has a wonderful selection of American Cars from the 50s and 60s. My Pagoda will be there again this year for sure as it has been for the past 5 years. Are you near by ? why not let us have a get together meet and then arrive in style?

Calling all Pagodas in Ontario, or near our borders in New York State, Michigan and Illinois. The drive is not too long and this kind of fun should not to be missed.

For Photos from Past Years …

Check here ——> http://www.flickriver.com/photos/carphotosbyrichard/sets/72157626426878765/

In 2009 Steve Plunkett opened his new Auto Salon containing his Cadillac collection.

Have a Peek ——> http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/auto_salon/auto_salon.html

I have no affiliation whatsoever with this event, I just think it’s a great place to meet. Cars from all over the US and Canada arrive every year here to meet old friends and make new ones.

Should you be interested let me know, I love to get together and get this organized,

Best and Happy Motoring the sun will be out soon :)

Dieter
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 00:40:40 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Whipcity

• Junior Level
  • USA, IL, Saint Charles
  • The World is not enough.
Hello Dieter,
Thank you for thinking about a “Midwest” event this year. Unfortunately, we had committed to another road already. Perhaps there could be another opportunity to put something together or join another event at another time.

WhipCity
1970 280SL ZF5
1999 500SL
2012 E550 Cabriolet
2014 S63 4Matic
1970 W113 280SL ZF5
1999 R129 SL500
2012 A207 E550 Cab
2020 W222 S63 4Matic

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
I am surprised that there is no more interest then this, Im sure there are plenty of Pagodas in a 200 Mile radius from London Ontario Canada based on the amount of cars that show up every year.

Since I came to London Ontario from Western Canada I've attended this car show every year. Last year it was close to 3,000 cars of all shapes and sizes, yes even some Mercedes cars.

Ive driven my Pagoda several Times to Toronto, once to NY State to the Deutsche Classic, two times to Virginia and two times to PUB in Ohio State. Are all Pagodas in this 300 Diameter area in the shop? I don't think so :)

Come on fellows come on uo to Canada join us for some great fun! As I said if there are enough of us I'll talk to the Host and we set a spot aside were only Pagoda Parking will be allowed :)

Only 4 weeks left now ... you will enjoy the drive!

Dieter

Dieter

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
If this was Porsche or MGB's we were talking about you'd get 100 of them. MB not so much. It's always been that way.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
I may shop up, Dieter, albeit in a W116 6.9 not in a pagoda.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Igor,

Only a few days to go now, hope the weatherman cooperates for the show. I might spend a few hours on day 1 with my slightly used SL63 AMG that I will pick up on Wednesday that will replace my now C63 AMG. On day 2 I might drop by with my 280SL Pagoda. In the past few years I can only stay a few hours at this car show. It is always nice to slowly cruse around this cold course and admire the eye candy, then park for a few hours.

Dieter

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
I think we may bring the gold 230SL we just finished before it heads back to Calgary. Probably see you there on Saturday but I think will be there later in the day so will park in the back and then try to move up closer to the action later in the day.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Dan,

I posted a PM to you where I will meet Hugh ... he lives in London also

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
We managed to go to the car show today with 3 cars, Hugh and his future son in Law (250SL), Dan Benz Dr. and one of his Mechanics (230SL) and myself (280SL), as seen in Photo 1 right to left. We organized to meet at a local Coffee shop at lunch time then drove out together to the the car show.

It was quite busy I estimate about 2,000 cars and around 10,000 people on this first day. Perhaps tomorrow being Sunday there will be more cars and people visiting. As can be seen in Photo 2 and 3 Dan gets right to work hood open and solving problems at the word go.

Once some minor issues were looked after, the men closed the hood of the 230SL and the 250SL and went for a walk to check out some of the cars. This gave me an opportunity to snap some more photos and share them here with you, Photo 4 to 6.

In the past years (even after I took home my 280SL IN 2013), I never saw 3 Pagoda’s side by side at this car show. This year then makes it a first. Thanks for coming out Dan and Hugh, perhaps we can do it again next year and just maybe a few more Pagoda’s can join us.

Photos 7 to 10 are quick snapshots of the dash and rear of Hugh and Dan’s car (Dan and his mechanic took the 230SL for a run after doing some major engine and engine bay work). Sorry no engine shots (before the men left they were mostly in the way and after they left the hood(s) were closed). Both Hugh and Dan’s Customer cars were Euro Cars, mine was the lonely American delivery.

I count it as a small success that we managed to bring 3 Pagoda’s to this site this year, perhaps more next year. It is a “Really Great Show” as I mentioned cars from all over, last year it was near 3,000 cars. This year it will be known after tomorrows closing.

Perhaps there are car shows in your area, as has been said many times before get together for coffee or a meet exchange ideas experiences of your cars it’s great fun you will see. Some one said and rightfully so “It’s not only about cars, it’s mostly about people” and we proved that again this afternoon. So think about it, organize something in your area and tell us all about it.

Meanwhile have a great Pagoda “Top Down” Summer!

Cheers,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Four more Photos ....

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
And Two more Photos ..

See you next year at Steve's Place you be glad you came. Come now if some of us can drive all the way down to Verignia, New York State and Michigan, some of you bordering our fair clean Canadian border can make it to see us :-) no special fees, tax or tariffs :) I assure you only $10.00 Canadian to get into this fine golf Course from Steve and you will see the greatest Cadillac collection in North America.

Have a great Summer,

Dieter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:00:58 by Rolf-Dieter »

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Thanks for the report and the pictures Dieter. 👏😋
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
We managed to go to the car show today with 3 cars, Hugh and his future son in Law (250SL), Dan Benz Dr. and one of his Mechanics (230SL) and myself (280SL), as seen in Photo 1 right to left. We organized to meet at a local Coffee shop at lunch time then drove out together to the the car show.

It was quite busy I estimate about 2,000 cars and around 10,000 people on this first day. Perhaps tomorrow being Sunday there will be more cars and people visiting. As can be seen in Photo 2 and 3 Dan gets right to work hood open and solving problems at the word go.

Once some minor issues were looked after, the men closed the hood of the 230SL and the 250SL and went for a walk to check out some of the cars. This gave me an opportunity to snap some more photos and share them here with you, Photo 4 to 6.

In the past years (even after I took home my 280SL IN 2013), I never saw 3 Pagoda’s side by side at this car show. This year then makes it a first. Thanks for coming out Dan and Hugh, perhaps we can do it again next year and just maybe a few more Pagoda’s can join us.

Photos 7 to 10 are quick snapshots of the dash and rear of Hugh and Dan’s car (Dan and his mechanic took the 230SL for a run after doing some major engine and engine bay work). Sorry no engine shots (before the men left they were mostly in the way and after they left the hood(s) were closed). Both Hugh and Dan’s Customer cars were Euro Cars, mine was the lonely American delivery.

I count it as a small success that we managed to bring 3 Pagoda’s to this site this year, perhaps more next year. It is a “Really Great Show” as I mentioned cars from all over, last year it was near 3,000 cars. This year it will be known after tomorrows closing.

Perhaps there are car shows in your area, as has been said many times before get together for coffee or a meet exchange ideas experiences of your cars it’s great fun you will see. Some one said and rightfully so “It’s not only about cars, it’s mostly about people” and we proved that again this afternoon. So think about it, organize something in your area and tell us all about it.

Meanwhile have a great Pagoda “Top Down” Summer!

Cheers,

Dieter

It's always been about the owners. The cars are only there to take you to the show.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC