Author Topic: Fuel sender rebuild?  (Read 4272 times)

mrtzmd

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, OCEANSIDE
Fuel sender rebuild?
« on: February 20, 2018, 23:15:04 »
Hello,
I recently removed and disassembled the original fuel sender to find that all but one of the copper wires were broken and heavy "crud" and rust on the bottom plates and shaft.
After cleaning with brake cleaner I realize that it could potentially be repaired as I can now move the float up and down.
Has anyone attempted to rebuild it? I do not think I have the skill to solder the fine points but would happily send it out for rebuilding if it were available.
 I was able to order a good used one on ebay that's on the way but mine has the original build date in the top which would be nice to keep. Thanks for any input

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Fuel sender rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 15:56:53 »
I recently removed and disassembled the original fuel sender to find that all but one of the copper wires were broken and heavy "crud" and rust on the bottom plates and shaft.
After cleaning with brake cleaner I realize that it could potentially be repaired as I can now move the float up and down. Has anyone attempted to rebuild it? I do not think I have the skill to solder the fine points but would happily send it out for rebuilding if it were available.
I used to hunt these at the junkyard and clean them.  If they were really nasty at the junkyard I didn't bother to get it.  I never did any of the wire replacement - to me it was not worth it at that point.  Mostly what I did was cleaning, which fixed them 90% of the time.  To me it's past the point of being worth it. 

I just looked in my box of old fuel senders - all but one is missing the date code, or it has worn off.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Make sure you replace the cork gasket when you install the new one.  Part number 110 471 01 80   Available easily. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mrtzmd

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, OCEANSIDE
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 20:28:16 »
Thanks Scott for the input.  I was thinking of hitting the junkyards here in San Diego but I suspect there are few Vintage MBs left out there anyway.
Mauricio

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 21:36:32 »
Just in case you are not aware of it, new ones are also available from MB at a reasonable price.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 23:27:52 »
Make sure you order and get the same unit if you order from MB - they are not interchangeable! Older type will not fit the newer gauge and vice-versa.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 00:23:42 »
Thanks Scott for the input.  I was thinking of hitting the junkyards here in San Diego but I suspect there are few Vintage MBs left out there anyway.
Absolutely hit the junkyards, but check on-line inventory first. 
https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/
Click California then select each yard that you want to visit and click check inventory.  For inventory you can put in something like 196 to get all of the cars from the 1960s and 197 to get all of the cars from the 1970s.  Or Merc to get all of the Mercedes (and Mercury) cars....   It looks like there is nothing right now but it never hurts to check back...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:37:01 »
Mauricio, Give Onager in Chula Vista a call. They usually have a lot of used shelved parts avail.

https://www.onagercorporation.com/
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

mrtzmd

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, OCEANSIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:35:17 »
Tyler, thank you but Onager has none. My used ebay unit is on the way anyhow. I PM'd you.
Mauricio

mrtzmd

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, OCEANSIDE
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 02:38:52 »
Scott, will do. You never know when you'll find compatible part from other vintage MBs. Thanks

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 15:25:13 »
Scott, will do. You never know when you'll find compatible part from other vintage MBs. Thanks
I built a small eBay business looking for "compatible" parts for my cars.  Now I'm trying to get rid of my inventory.  Been there, done that.  A few years back 108s (and 111s) were fairly common at the junkyards.  Not so much now.  But if you keep looking you will find one.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mistertj

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Satellite Beach
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 17:50:27 »
Over the years I have removed the gas tank sending unit from my 230SL, cleaned it and put back into the tank. It did finally give out though so I found what was billed as a "replacement" on line. Bought it for around $165 and yes it did fit but the connector on the top did not match mine so I sent it back. Subsequently bought a VDO sending unit for $27, which looked very much like the $165 unit. The connector is not the same as mine but with a small mod it all fits and works well. The mounting holes are in the identical same place as the original sending unit. For $27...I'm happy with it!
Should you elect to eventually go this route, you need to know the ohms range of your existing unit so that you get correct readings on your gauge.

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:47 »
I had one fail.  I took it apart and the copper wire broke. Has anyone ever rewound it with new wire?

Kevin
1970 280 SL

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 07:54:37 »
Hi, - for the later cylindrical sender unit with internal float -
in this thread of Pagoda forum you find a lot of information to repair your fuel sender, follow the links: https://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/threads/tankgeber.12238/page-2#post-99739
especially here: http://w113.eu/geschlossen/Reparaturen/Geber%20fuer%20Kraftstoffanzeige%20Pagode%20W113.htm.
For a G-wagon but similar: http://www.hehlhans.de/tipp19.htm.
...WRe
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:02:12 by WRe »