Author Topic: Convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France  (Read 18247 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 00:28:16 »
UPDATE ... March 3rd. 2018

Participants Responses to Reply #26 above & as shown below;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day 1, September 30 - Euro Event hotel to Montpellier (328 KM)
Day 2, October 1 - Montpellier to  Libourne (448 KM)
Day 3, October 2 - Libourne to Bordeaux (39 KM) followed by a
MORNING visit On Oct. 2 to Bracq's Les Ateliers then Lunch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreement to the 3 Day Trip ... Yes ... or .... No

Ray and Jill...Yes
Paul & Dolly...Yes
Larry and Norma...Yes
Garry & Dieter...Yes

Please Note; Locations shown above for overnight stops (Montpellier and Libourne) are at this point in time only temporary locations and may change slightly depending on best prices obtained with safe parking for our accomudations, more later).

Edit; corrected typo Oct 3 should have read Oct 2 and Note added.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 16:06:36 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 15:25:37 »
Hi Ray,

I do agree and as you know Jean-Michel already pointed out the link as an item of interest of the Millau Viaduct in Reply#21 above. I for one would like to see it. I am also starting to look at accommodations in the Libourne area, east of Bordeaux (it is very close to our destination on Tuesday morning Oct. 2nd if we have the majority of participants to agree on the 3 day trip as proposed above) and safe parking for all cars is foremost on my mind. I will check if we can get a special rate at various locations and report back (unless I can find a volunteer for this task). :)

Dieter

Edit; Removed the second Paragraph above " We would be able to make a photo opportunity visit to the Millau Viaduct on our way to the accommodation on Oct. 1 or after Breakfast on Oct. 2 on our way to Paul Bracq’s  Ateliers (not that one can see much as one drives across this bridge, there is apparently provision at the end of the bridge to stop and take photos). Most accommodations in the Libourne are less then 50 Km to the Paul Bracq’s  Ateliers location. Also as Jean-Michel pointed Bordeaux is not so Pagoda Friendly.or after Breakfast on Oct. 2 on our way to Paul Bracq’s  Ateliers (not that one can see much as one drives across this bridge, there is apparently provision at the end of the bridge to stop and take photos)."

Sorry I made a mistake regarding the location of the Millau Viaduct. Please see Reply # 29 below

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 16:59:12 by Rolf-Dieter »

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 11:58:02 »
Hi all,
Just a quick question.
After leaving Montpellier would there be any interest in heading to Libourne via the Millau Viaduct ? Being relatively close to it may make it a worthy detour to see and cross such an icon in our Pagodas.
Best
Ray and Jill

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 12:38:10 »
Reserved

I Lock this thread (sometimes I miss to lock it) since we communicate by e-mail with the group and post the results here in this thread as individuals get back to me. This way I find we can all be on the same page. I hope all are in agreement with this :)

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 19:16:30 »
Hi All,

As mentioned above I’ve made an error as to the location of the Viaduc de Millau. Some people have expressed the wish to see and stop by this icon (see photo below) on our way.

See also this link ——> https://feel-planet.com/millau-viaduct-france/

I got an e-mail from Jean Michel and after reviewing his various options I like to propose The following;

Day 1 - Sunday September 30; We don’t stay overnight in Montpellier. We can drive all the way to Chateau de Creissels. This would be a 425 KM trip (route to this  destination to be refined with Jean Michel’s help). There will be some highway driving, however it is Sunday and there will be no trucks. This route also has tolls, There are not many hotels, however it has a nice Chateau, open the link to see photos and details;

Here ——> http://www.chateau-de-creissels.com/en/

The Chateau is located in the valley as can be seen from the link above. In order to to drive across the bridge there would be additional KM to continue on day 2, this can be discussed with the group later, For a map see image 1 attached.

Day 2 - Monday October 1; We would continue in the direction of Libourne located just east of Bordeaux. This leg of our trip is approx. 400 KM, again the route to this  destination to be refined with Jean Michel’s help later. There are several Chateau’s in the area with safe parking.

For a map see image 2 below

Day 3 - Tuesday October 2; As can be seen from the map (image 3 below) it is only a short distance to the Bracq Ateliers. 33 KM approx. we need to think about parking the cars. I will find out from Boris Bracq once I get back in touch with him about our date change (Oct 1 to Oct 2 for our visit) what is best for the cars if there is space to park them near the Ateliers or not. If not perhaps we leave the cars at the Chateau and collect them after our visit and arrange to take several taxis or a bus? Jean Michel mentioned that Bordeaux is not very Pagoda friendly.

For a map see image 3 below,

We will check regarding accommodations later, Jean Michel offered his help, to contact several places and perhaps arrange for a good rate that then each of you can make arrangements for individually. I will PM you all that I added this post so you may review it and get back to me with your thoughts.

Thank you,

Dieter_”

Replies and / or comments from the Group so far as of March 5th 2018

Garry and Dieter OKAY with us.
Ray and Jill OKAY with us
Jon and Martiajn OKAY as stated in #29. Leave after breakfast on Sunday, travel Monday to get close to Bordeaux, Tuesday is visit, lunch and then we each depart in direction needed.
Jean Michel OKAY, has concerns about accupsncy space at the chateau de creyssel (Dieter already contacted them, availing reply). Also Jean Martin has concerns about parking near or at the Aleliers (Dieter will follow up, check with Boris Bracq and report back) since there will be no means of transport from a Chateau near Libourne.
Paul and Dolly Fine with us.
Larry and Norma same as Paul and Dolly both cars travel together.
Maurice & Dawn OKAY with us.

Edit; added reply from Maurice & Dawn March 6th
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 13:25:23 by Rolf-Dieter »

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Lydeway Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 09:38:54 »
Okay with us

Maurice & Dawn
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 13:22:08 »
Hi All,

GOOD NEWS

Jean Michel has managed to reserve a block of rooms for us for our first night September 30, 2018 at the Chateau.

i send you all an e-mail (translated from French to English) for your review. I need from each of you a reply as to what type of room you require so that Jean Michel may call them and reserve the right block of rooms.

Jean Michel will make arrangements in such a way that each of us then can contact them to reserve there room, obtain a reference number for our group, arrange for a cancellation date (such as August 30 perhaps) and see if special rate discount can be obtained.

Please PM me or e-mail me with your need for a double or single bed room.

Thank you All

Dieter

EDIT; So far as of March 8th I have replies from 10 of 10 cars for the type of room required
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:58:28 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 17:42:38 »
All except one party have now called the Hotel (see your e-mail for final location) that we shall be staying at on September 30, 2018 after the Euro Event concludes and confirmed there room using there credit card.

We do have one (1) additional room reserved and will hold this room until May 30, 2018. If by then no one contacted me to claim the 10th spot that is still open we shall let the Hotel know that we no longer need it.

Thank you again Jean Michel for your great help in getting this organized for us all. Now that we know what everyone needs for room requirements it will be simpler to find accomudations for October 1st 2018 near Bordeaux.

One correction I like to point out and that is, i think i mentioned that the Bridge near Millau is the highest bridge in the world. Well it turned out that over the past 14 years many more bridges have been constructed that are slightly taller ... see below.

Since opening in 2004, the deck height of Millau has been surpassed by several suspension bridges in China, including Sidu River Bridge, Baling River Bridge, and two spans (Beipan River Guanxing Highway Bridge and Beipan River Hukun Expressway Bridge) over the Beipan River. In 2012, Mexico's Baluarte Bridge surpassed Millau as the world's highest cable-stayed bridge. The Royal Gorge suspension bridge in the U.S. state of Colorado is also higher, with a bridge deck approximately 291 metres (955 ft) over the Arkansas River.[citation needed]... Source the Internet.

We do learn something new every day don’t we now :)

Dieter

Edit; Minor changes made since details are in everyones Inbox by personal messages.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:20:44 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 00:23:20 »
Gentlemen,

I’m happy to let you all know that everyone that will be participating in the caravan to visit The Paul Bracq Ateliers on October 2nd 2018 has now confirmed there accommodations with the Hotel (see your e-mail Inbox for details) for check in on September 30, 2018 and check out October 1st 2018.

Also good news regarding our lunch date with Paul & Boris Bracq and there wife’s on October 2nd 2018 followed after lunch by our visit to the Bracq Ateliers.

I made contact today with Boris Bracq and the plan as it stands and has been recommended by Boris (see your e-mail for details and the PDF file I shall issue to each of you at a later date). The misunderstanding about the visit date has been resolved it is October 2nd 2018.

Please refer to your e-mail Inbox for further details.

Thank you all,

Dieter

Edit; Minor changes made since details are in everyones Inbox by personal messages.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:47:47 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 09:43:05 »
Hello,

To everyone that will be participating in the caravan to visit The Paul Bracq Ateliers!

We now have also completed our second Hotel arrangements near Bordeaux for October 1st check in and October 2nd check out. As well as our Lunch meeting with Paul and Boris Bracq and there wife(s).

Everyone should have received details of everything by e-mail by now.

I will issue to each of you a condensed Itiniary complete with maps and addresses in a PDF file. I assume each of the drivers will bring along there GPS as well as Cell Phone  ;)

Keep an eye on your Inbox, I will forward to you all further information by e-mail only pertaining to our journey after the Euro 2018 event to The Bracq Ateliers.

I'm looking forward to this trip as I am sure you are too.

Best,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 00:17:33 »
Hello Gentlemen (Members that are part of our caravan),

I send each of you a PM please have a look in your e-mail and kindly reply to the questions on devices you plan to use. We like to finalize the route to Paul Bracq Ateliers and perhaps share files with you for your GPS as well as pertinent other information as detailed in the PM.

Remember for or trip to be successful we all need to be on the same page having the same information so we can communicate should someone get lost :)

As a backup plan I like to provide each car with a PDF file that will contain maps, directions we plan to drive, addresses, gas stops and meeting points in case we loose a car or two.

As mentioned before we most likely will devide the caravan into 3 car groups to prevent anyone getting left behind, however, one never knows does one.

So please let us have your answers to the questions so we can finalize the route and then provide each of you with a good route plan. We just don't like to leave anyone behind :) btw this is NOT Fake News. ~grin~

Thank You!

Dieter

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:21:48 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 12:16:14 »
Added John & Lia to our Group in the original post. The group has now the maximum number of cars for this visit to the Bracq Ateliers.

Should there be a cancellation I will post it here.

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 16:37:26 »
All overnight bookings are now looked after, Jean-Michel will work out the route that we will take west after the Euro Tour (September 30 to October 2nd), including stops for lunch, gas and meeting points. Once I have all the indevidual maps I will compile them into a PDF file including pertainant information like; destination addresses, cell phone numbers of the drivers etc. this way all 11 drivers will be on the same page.

So keep an eye on your Inbox also check back here I will add one more post to let you know when the PDF file was posted, just in case it ended up in your Trash Folder. Only 3 and 1/2 Months to go now, time to get excepted yes :)

Should be a great after Euro Tour outing and then meeting the Master of the Pagoda Creation what a trill it will be :)

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 18:23:55 »
Hello to all Drivers and Passengers that are part od the trip to

The Paul Bracq Ateliers,

The map files as mentioned above are now complete. Two (2) e-mails have been dispatched this afternoon to you and should now be in your INBOX. The e-mails have the PDF files attached that include Maps, Road-book files and Waypoints, Latitude & Longitude Numbers as well as address locations for all waypoints.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties opening the files. Both Jean Michel and myself are standing by to answer any questions you might have.

See you in the South of France. Meanwhile do Enjoy the Summer,

Thank you

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2018, 15:18:34 »
Hello to all Drivers and Passengers that are part of the trip to The Paul Bracq Ateliers,

I’ve send you an e-mail update last week, please check your Inbox or your Trash Folder.

Thank you,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 20:32:34 »
One more time ....

Hello to all Drivers and Passengers that are part of the trip to The Paul Bracq Ateliers,

I’ve sent you a final e-mail message today, please check your Inbox or your Trash Folder.

See you in the South of France, only 36 days to go until I head to the airport for Nice, France. Can't wait :)

You all have a safe and top-down Pagoda Trip (if you take your car) and/or a smooth flight!

Thank you,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 20:16:44 »
I hope all cars made it back home safe and sound. I also hope everyone had a great time visiting the Paul Bracq Ateliers.

Garry Marks and I will spend one more day tomorrow in Nice then on Sunday morning we shall be bording our respective flights back home.

It was nice of Boris to take time out of his busy day and show us around in the Ateliers. Everyone seemed to enjoy his company during lunch not only exchanging tips and ideas in English, French yes even in German. Thank you again Boris.

All the best,

Dieter

jmbour

• Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Paris
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2018, 18:22:48 »
Hi Dieter and all,

I am pleased to hear that you appreciated your visit to Paul Bracq's Ateliers and that (apparently) everybody proceeded safely back home. I hope that Ray didn't have to replace his pagoda's tyres and could fix his problem quietly and without stress.

I add a link to an album on Dropbox where I uploaded 4 videos, including 2 (numbers 4 and 5) on our convoy towards Bordeaux

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaba92yzruly6vt/European%20Event%202018-4.mp4?dl=0
JMB

1971 280SL US
1973 280CE
1987 300 E
2005 C230

jmbour

• Senior
JMB

1971 280SL US
1973 280CE
1987 300 E
2005 C230

jmbour

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2018, 19:02:50 »
Hello !

A souvenir from the Verdon Canyon, in 360 ° format, on Youtube :

https://youtu.be/0tFGZcN8Zg4

Jean michel
JMB

1971 280SL US
1973 280CE
1987 300 E
2005 C230

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2018, 22:05:16 »
Thanks for the pics, Jean Michel,

We arrived home on Saturday, without incident

Paul & Dolly
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 01:37:28 »
Thanks to the organisers Rolf Dieter and Jean Michel,  It was a great adventure across France, Just arrived back home about two hours ago.  Need to go and give the Pagoda a drive now but its raining....
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric