Author Topic: Convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France  (Read 18248 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
This Information has been transferred here from another thread to avoid confusion.

The following individuals are planing to travel after the Euro Event in convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France

I have contacted Boris Bracq (see attached. Also see my Reply #16 posted Feb 22, 2018) and he replied positive for our shop visit. Looking forward to it,

Let us make a list as to how many of us will drive to the shop and meet Paul and Boris Bracq after the Euro Event. Once we have a accurate count and a estimated time to visit the shop I will advise Boris Bracq of our estimated arrival time;

1 - Garry Marks & Dieter Solga in 1966 Pagoda 230SL Manual Shift, Australia and Canada
2 - Brian Akre & passenger (TBD) in one Pagoda, Holland
3 - Paul & Dolly, in a Pagoda (EYJ 123E), UK
4 - Larry and Norma in their Pagoda. UK
5 - Jonny B and Martijn 1967 250SL Pagoda, California USA
6 - Aslam and Achim (114015), Germany
7 - Maurice and Dawn (mazmonza). UK
8 - Sully and wife (Sully), UK
9 - Ray & Jill in there 69 Pagoda "Marilyn". UK
10 - John & Lia, (JJD) Holland
10a - Jean-Michel, in his Pagoda, France (Jean-Michel will not accompany us all the way since he has other plans).

Originally I told Boris Bracq there will be 4 cars to drop by his Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France after the Euro Event. Additional indeviduals then expressed the wish to join our group and I again contacted Boris Bracq (see my e-mail and his reply below). The number of cars is now 10 that Boris will now expect. Our planned day of visit to the Bracq Ateliers is now Oct 2, 2018 in the afternoon after we meet with Paul and Boris Bracq and there wife’s for lunch.

Thank you,

Dieter

Edit

Feb 28/2018 ~ added Jean, in his Pagoda, France to our list and revised the note(s) above. March 18, changed note no 1 and 2 above.
May 10/2018 ~ added John and Lia to our group, all spots are now accupied for this side trip after the Euro Tour 2018. revised note above.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:25:04 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: Convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:03:32 »
Hallo Garry, Brian, Paul, Larry and Jonny,

Let us here in this thread discuss what route we shall take (some suggestions have been made in the original thread).

I guess depending when the Euro Event concludes will determaine if we shall drive all the way thru and plan to arrive late Sept 30 in Bordeaux or stop half way and arrive in the late morning on Oct 1 in Bordeaux with a shop visit in the afternoon.

Perhaps one has preference for Accomidations or one of you Gentlemen likes to take the task to reserve Accommodations once we all decided to drive tru all the way or stop half way?

Anyway, this thread I think will allow us to make those arrangements for our side trip. I know Garry and I will return to Nice after the shop visit and some of you will drive north to return home after the shop visit.

So please all post your intentions and we can get this organized before we meet st the Euro Event.

Thank you,

Dieter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:07:34 by Rolf-Dieter »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:05:23 »
Travelling 32,500 km to the weekend and back, lets do two days to get across there. Never know when i will get back to France. 8) 8)

Hopefully one of the “locals" will know the best place to stop.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:56:42 »
Garry,

You got that right it is a long way to travel back and forth. In my case not so bad only 13,500 KM (round trip) so let us enjoy the road trip to meet Paul and Boris Bracq. No need to rush after all we are retired :)

I’m sure we find some great spots along the way to stop for coffee, lunch and dinner. It will be my only visit to the south of France.

Dieter

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 16:29:25 »
Garry, R-D,

We are not in a rush, just going to meander back up to Caen for the Ferry.

Paul & Dolly
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:15 »
Hello Rolf-Dieter,

Thanks a lot for your great effort putting this together.

Please take Aslam and myself to the list.  ;)

1 - Garry Marks & Dieter Solga in 1966 Pagoda 230SL Manual Shift
2 - Brian Akre & passenger (TBD) in one Pagoda
3 - Paul & Dolly, in a Pagoda (EYJ 123E) for the PB visit
4 - Larry and Norma in their Pagoda.
5 - Jonny B and Martijn 1967 250SL Pagoda
6 - Aslam and Achim - 1964 230 SL Pagoda

Also no detailed plans about the "how to" after the Event...; we just have to head north towards Paris in order to travel home ...

Thanks a lot for your work & keeping us updated.

Best,
Achim
(strong EuropeanEvent admirer & participant)
Achim
(Germany)

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Lydeway Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:56:47 »
Hello Rolf,

Please add myself and my wife if not to crowded.

Maurice and Dawn

Best wishes
                 Maurice
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 15:11:55 »
 Maurice & Achim,

Done I added you to my list.

So far we are 7 cars, should we make a cut off at 10 or 12? your opinion please.

Thank you

Dieter

PS. Achim, I think I'll see you in July at the Mosel Tour (yet to be confirmed).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 17:34:46 by Rolf-Dieter »

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 17:24:55 »

R-D
Maybe easier just give a cut off date for interested parties, so you then know who you have on board then ?

Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 17:49:55 »
Good idea Paul,

I think this will be best

1) Our cut-off Date will be May 30, 2018 for this convoy to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux, France (after the Euro Event).

2) Total number of cars will be 10 (I am concerned to keep all together also for parking).

Whatever situation occurs (first 1 or 2 above).

Dieter

Edit; 02/12/2018 changed 12 cars to 10 cars. 04/23/2018 changed cut off date for the 10th car to May 30, 2018
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:59:55 by Rolf-Dieter »

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Lydeway Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:10:07 »
The trip is around 700km, a stop half way could be a good idea.

MP
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

sully

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, Badakhshan, Orpington
  • My Pagoda
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 19:00:55 »
Can you add me and my wife to your list please
Thanks

Sully

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 19:39:25 »
MP, I do agree to stop half way, any suggestions where?

Sully, added you to the list.

Dieter

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 18:14:21 »
Me, my wife and 69 Pagoda ' Marilyn ' to please.

Ray

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 21:07:35 »
Dear All,

I left a note for Boris on Facebook in English asking if it is okay when we were up to 7 cars. I told him I would be holding it to 10 cars if it was still okay with him (my French is only so so).

I have no other contact for him. Boris agreed for 4 cars he replied to me "okay with pleasure"

Does anyone of you have his contact number? if anyone has an e-mail for him I will then e-mail him in French and see if he is still fine with us showing up 10 cars etc. (after all he has a business to run).

Thanks,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:56:56 »
I e-mailed Boris also on Feb. 13, 2018 a detailed e-mail basicly asking him if it would still be okay if we drop by his shop with 10 cars. So far he has not responded. Perhaps the e-mail was put into his junk file by his secretary since it was in English.

Today I made an attempt to follow up in a brief format in French in the hope he will see the e-mail and respond to me. Here is the e-mail in French .....

————————————————————-

Bonjour Boris!

Est-ce que vous avez vu mon email au dessus? Vous m’avez inviter de visiter votre shop avec quatres autos, apres notre Euro Event 2018. Est-ce que c’est ok si nous arrivons avec 10 Pagodas? Notre plan c’est d’arriver le 1 October apres midis.

SVP respondez si c’est possible; nous esperons vraiment d’avoire l’opportunite de faire votre connaissance.

Cordialement,

Rolf-Dieter Solga,
Pagoda SL Group
Membership Secretary

_———————————————————————————

Let us hope he will get back to me, I certainly don’t wish to show up with more then the original agreed 4 cars at his door step unless I have his approval. Has anyone out there spoken to Boris or his Dad or meet either one that can contact Boris if he does not respond?

If all fails and Boris does not get back to me then I think we need to go with the original four cars and that would be in the order of interest as posted on this thread, I see no other alternative unless someone of you fellows has other suggestions.

So let us see if I get a response, I will let you know.

Thanks for understanding,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:22 »
Hello Garry, Brian, Paul, Larry, Jonny, Achim, Mauris, Suliy and Ray,

Good News!

I have received word back from Boris and he is fine with 10 cars (we are 9 cars so far, one more open to join, after that anyone wishing to join will go on a waiting list in case one of you cannot go). Please see his e-mail to me below and my reply to him this evening after his e-mail, also below.

I now like to start the planning stage and to this end have several questions. I will e-mail those questions to each one of you this then will help us all to be on the same page once the Euro Event is over and we begin our trip towards Bordeaux. I believe in planning is half the job, to that end the questions I will ask will then allow us to be on the same page after breakfast on Sunday September 30, 2018.

Please look for the e-mail and respond to me I will then post the results in this thread as a kind of agenda for us all. At the same time I like to ask for some help in regards to hotel arrangements, some recommendations as to were we like to stop along the way etc.

I will formulate this e-mail to all of you by this coming weekend. So check your Inbox and please get back to me.

Thank you,

Dieter

~~~~~~~ Message from Boris Bracq ~~~~~~

On Feb 21, 2018, at 4:10 PM, Boris Bracq <contact@paulbracq.com> wrote:
Good evening Rolf,

Sorry for my late reply, I was away the whole past week and didn't have time to answer you before.
Anyway, thank you very much for your email and for your interest for our Ateliers. For sure, it would be a real pleasure for us to welcome you and your "crew" in Bordeaux in September. The date is OK for us though at that moment, I can't guarantee you that my father will be here at that time, but we still have time for that.

10 cars is OK for us, there will be no problem to stop at our atelier and visit it. I still need to think of a restaurant opened close to our workshop (September 30th is a Sunday and our workshop is located in a residential area...) but let me think about it and I will inform you. Have you planned to spend the night then in Bordeaux or are you travelling to another city after the visit?

We keep in touch.

Best regards,
Boris

~~~~~~~~ End of Message from Boris Bracq ~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~ My reply this evening to Boris Bracq ~~~~~~

Hello Boris,

Thank you so much for responding to my e-mail. No need to be sorry at all, I had a feeling that you are still in Germany on your trip I saw a few posts you made with your friends on Facebook.

Thank you for the good news that 10 cars will be fine, I am sure the drivers of the 10 cars that signed up will be very happy for this news. Our 2018 Euro Event (1 hour drive north / west from Niece) will be over after breakfast on Sunday September 30 and I anticipate that we then drive about half way in the direction of Bordeaux. This would mean that we then would leave early on October 1st to drive the rest of the way to Bordeaux. At this point in time I hope to be at a restaurant not too far from your Ateliers and you then could join us for lunch.

If your dad would be available to join us also for lunch that would be indeed a great pleasure for us all. After lunch we then as you suggested can meet back at your Ateliers for a little tour to see some of the fine work you, your dad and associates are engaged in.

Boris, the drivers in our group are form various locations; Australia, Canada, England, Germany, Holland and USA. Some of us may stay in Bordeaux overnight and others may start there journey north after our visit to your Ateliers. Some of us may also start our return trip back toward Niece since we have scheduled flights from the Niece Airport.

I will communicate with the Group and let you know as soon as I know an estimated arrival time in your fair city of Bordeaux. If you can let me know a Restaurant were we could first all meet for lunch on Monday October 1st that would be great.

Best Regards Meantime we will be in touch soon.

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter (this is my given Christian name and Forum Handle at the Pagoda SL Group)

~~~~~~~~~~~ End of my reply to Boris Bracq ~~~~~~~~~

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:19:43 by Rolf-Dieter »

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:22 »
Well done Dieter,

I totally agree with you regarding Planning.....and communication

We used to have a poster in our office

"Failure to plan....is to Plan for Failure !"

Looking forward to the trips

Paul

Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 19:00:04 »
Hello, Garry, Brian, Paul, Larry, Jonny, Achim, Mauris, Suliy and Ray,

I posted an e-mail to each of you this morning with a few questions regarding our trip agenda and organization. Please review and get back to me at your convieniance so I may compile our thoughts on the trip. Please add to the list if I missed anything.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Dieter

jmbour

• Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Paris
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 13:28:11 »
Hello Dieter, Gary and all,

I am sorry to come so lately to this discussion.
I was on the waiting list, so I have just joined the list of the attendees to the 2018 event.

My Pagoda is parked in south west of France (Périgord region), not far from Bordeaux.
So I could join our convoy on the way back.
I could also, if you agree, give you some advice on the trip from Nice to Bordeaux : it will be possible to travel all the 700 km in a day for sure with a modern car, even it will be a boring 700 highway kms trip.

Personnaly, I feel better (and I am sure my pagoda also) on smaller and scenic roads.

I could propose a two or three days trip giving you the opportunity to see and appreciate some nice parts of France, instead of traveling through anonymous highways.

I could organize and provide accomodation on the half trip (my family owns a hotel in "Les Eyzies de Tayac" home of prehistoric caves in the center of Perigord), and there will be no security problems (private parking).

Instead of going through Montpellier, Carcassonne and Toulouse, we could get to Rodez (past the "viaduc de Millau", the highest viaduct in the world) then follow scenic roads through a nice country and have a stop in Perigord.
It will be a very nice continuation of the event, particularly for those who don't know this part of France.

In this case,  this will at least make the trip longer (in time, not in distance), and shift the visit to Bracq atelier by one or two days (which means 2nd or 3rd of october instead of 1st).

I don't want to interfere with your plans. This just a proposal. Let me know if you are interested.
Anyway, I am prepared to help.

Best regards

Jean michel
JMB

1971 280SL US
1973 280CE
1987 300 E
2005 C230

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 14:56:00 »
 Hello Jean,

Welcome to the Group of 10 :) glad to have you on board. I added you in the original post above. I've e-maled a questionare yesterday out to everyone and will e-mail it to you as well. you will find it addresses some of the points you mentioned in your post above. Please look it over and get back to me at your convienieance.

One of the questions I have is for someone that knows the area to organize the accomudations with safety of the cars in mind. That point is very important to me that everyones treasure is safe whilst we sleep :) it looks like you are the man for the task and I am for one revery happy you secured spot 10 !

Best,

Dieter
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 18:57:49 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 17:42:12 »
After I post this post here I will "Lock" this thread and update it every time I recieve a response to my questionare. It will help us what everyone is thinking and suggesting to the questions I e-mailed you.

Since the thread will be locked I ask that if anyone else wishes to fill car spot # 10 please PM me and I will get back to you. After spot 10 is taken I will generate a "Waiting List" should anyone like to join if someone of the original 10 cars cannot make it.

Here then is the Questionnaire with responses as received as of February 25, 2018 looking forward to the rest so I may up date this list here for you.

Thank you, Dieter

1) Do we all agree to travel only (approx) half the distance on Sunday September 30 after the Euro Event Breakfast?

Garry & Dieter —-> Yes, we have no problem with a 2 or 3 day trip.
Jean —-> Yes
Jonny B & Martijn —-> No, we will probably try to get as close to Bordeaux as we can on Sunday.
Paul & Dolly —->Yes , happy with a 2 or even 3 day trip (as per jean michael
Larry and Norma ---> Same as Paul & Dolly above they are traveling together.
Achim & Aslam —->Yes
Maurice and Dawn--->Yes

2) If you agree to yes what location would you like to stop for the night (see below).

Niece to Bordeaux is 803 Km. Niece to Montpellier is 328 Km and Niece to Toulouse is 560 Km.

Garry & Dieter —-> Montpellier, TOULOUSE is a very large town producing aeroplanes
Jean —-> I suggest a stop in Perigord
Jonny B & Martijn —-> N/A
Paul & Dolly —->No preference, but I think it better to have a shorter and easier journey on the arrival day, as we must be there by lunchtime.
Achim & Aslam —->we would follow Advise from Jean-Michel - would avoid the large cities.   Stay on scenic drive.
Maurice and Dawn--->Toulouse okay or Carcassonne ?

3) Does anyone prefer to travel all the way to Bordeaux on Sunday September 30?

Garry & Dieter —-> No
Jean —-> Seems to me too much
Jonny B & Martijn —-> As written in 1. above, probably close to 90% of the way there. Mostly to take advantage of the “no trucks” day.
Paul & Dolly —-> No, I think it is too far for one day in a 50 year old Pagoda
Achim & Aslam —->Probably not, but will join with the consensus.
Maurice and Dawn--->No

4) On Monday October 1st we would then travel the rest of the way to way to Bordeaux to the hotel or to the Restaurant that Boris Bracq recommends for us to meet. In order to meet between 11:30 am and 12:00 am at the restaurant we would have to leave the location (see 2 above) quite early in the morning. Do you agree?

Garry & Dieter —-> Maybe we need to stop that second night in Bordeaux and then have the next day for the visit? Morning with the workshop followed by lunch then disperse after that as a suggestion
Jean —-> It will be OK if you follow my advice
Jonny B & Martijn —-> We would meet up with the group at the hotel at the times you indicate. We just won’t have to get up early.
Paul & Dolly —-> May be better to take three days for the journey
Achim & Aslam —->follow Jean-Michel advice.
Maurice and Dawn--->Yes

5) I recommend that we collectively pick up the lunch bill for Paul, his wife (if she attends) and Boris Bracq. Do you agree?

Garry and Dieter —-> Totally agree that we should pick up the tab for the Bracq group.
Jean —-> I will not be with you in Bordeaux
Jonny B  Martijn —-> Absolutely
Paul & Dolly —-> Yes, I fully agree
Achim & Aslam —->Yes
Maurice and Dawn--->Yes

6) After the Shop visit / Tour how many of you will;

a - Continue north .... ?

b - Return to Niece .... ?

c - stay overnight in Bordeaux then (a) or (b)

Garry & Dieter —-> return to Nice.
Jean —-> I will stop in Sarlat (Perigord)
Jonny B  Martijn —-> We will continue north to Amsterdam.
Paul & Dolly —-> Option ( c) and then travelling North (a)
Achim & Aslam —->we will head out towards Paris most likely.
Maurice and Dawn--->a) continue North or stay if others are.

7) Do any of you wish to stop at a specific location during our trip to Bordeaux or during the return trip?

Garry & Dieter —-> to be advised
Jean —-> No
Jonny B & Martijn —->We may find one or two spots, but nothing specific right now.
Paul & Dolly —-> No preference
Achim & Aslam —->No
Maurice and Dawn--->No (I think it would be better to go to Boris Bracq as one group on Monday).

8 - would you agree that we shift the visit to Les ateliers de Paul Bracq from Oct. 1st to Oct. 2nd or even 3rd. to give us more time?

Garry & Dieter —-> Oct 3rd is fine for us.
Jean —-> prefers Oct 3rd
Jonny B & Martijn —->
Paul & Dolly —-> either Oct 2nd or 3rd is fine
Achim & Aslam —->No
Maurice and Dawn--->

9 - what day Is best (based on your return trip home) for the Les ateliers de Paul Bracq visit?

Garry & Dieter —-> Both our return home from Nice is later in the week Oct 2nd or 3rd is fine
Jean —-> NA
Jonny B & Martijn —->
Paul & Dolly —-> No problem have not yet booked return Ferry.
Achim & Aslam —->1 or Oct 2 is okay.
Maurice and Dawn--->

Additions made by;

Jean —-> I suggest "Hotel des Roches" at Les Eyzies de Tayac-Sireuil for sunday. I could find a good hotel near Bordeaux. I recommend a place outside the city, as Bordeaux city center, as other city centers, is not very pagoda friendly.

Jean ——> My proposed plan will use half highway and half alternative roads on sunday. On monday, the proposed highway is a "low traffic" highway. There is no risk of problems, but for the last kilometers, when arriving in Bordeaux.

Jean ——>In addition to my previous message, I suggest that you look for a "chateau hotel" in the area east of Bordeaux.There are several chateaux in the surroundings of Libourne and Fronsac, some of them with wineyards : the best to appreciate Bordeaux wine. Being east of Bx will be more convenient to catch the highway both north or southbound.

Jean ——> forwarded to me this link ——> https://feel-planet.com/millau-viaduct-france/

NOTE BY Dieter ----> Thank you Jean, Members of the Group very much appreciate your input as someone that lives in the area ThankYou! While I saw the episode of the original TopGear cross this bridge with three sports cars a few years ago, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be so close to this bridge some day and cross it in fine company ... can’t wait :) Enjoy the Read everyone of of Jean’s link.

Dieter

Edit; added Items 8 and 9 above
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 19:54:08 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 19:04:04 »
Jean-Michel is making some real good points about timing for our trip. Please include in the return e-mail to me your answer to questions 8 and 9

8 - would you agree that we shift the visit to Les ateliers de Paul Bracq from Oct. 1st to Oct. 2nd or even 3rd. to give us more time?

9 - what day Is best (based on your return trip home) for the Les ateliers de Paul Bracq visit?

PS. Garry, Jean, Jonny and Paul, please let me have your thoughts by e-mail also. Thanks, Dieter

I will amend Reply # 21 above so that we are all on the same page..

Jean-Michel has send me the following recommendations;

Hello Dieter

Having looked at the last contributions to the forum, I would like to add some suggestions :

- I understand that there is no hurry

- It will be better to take your time, mainly if it will be the first time you travel in the south of France,

- If you agree on my proposal (steps1 and 2 with a stop in Les Eyzies) why not spend a day to visit the area ?

- Les Eyzies to Les ateliers de Paul Bracq is a 2 hours. and a half trip , so you may live les Eyzies in the morning, be in Bordeaux for lunch, and see the atelier in the afternoon.

If you choose to spend one day in Les Eyzies, I could organize some visits of caves (Lascaux) or castles .
And I will  not forget gastronomy.

Then you will be in Bordeaux on tuesday 2nd instead of monday.

This will leave you enough time to see Bordeaux and get back to Nice with two stops in Toulouse (Air and space museum and Airbus plant among others) and  Carcassonne (Old medieval city).

Finally, we also have to take into account the possibility of bad weather.
In this case, it will be good to have one day as a "reserve".

Jean-Michel

—————————————————-

Garry, Jean, Jonny, Paul and Larry, since I have your reply to questions 1 to 7 please let me have your thoughts on 8 and 9. I will continue to update Reply #21 so that we are all on the same page.

Once all questions are answered we will know if we can travel together or it may be nessesary (should someone have travel constrains for the return trip home) to arrange different day visits for two groups. If this comes to pass I will have to make different arrangements with Boris Bracq. Also we then can look as to what hotel accomidations we will have to arrange.

Thank you all.

Dieter

PS. My travel window for the trip to the South of France is Sept. 25 to Oct. 9, 2018
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 20:36:27 by Rolf-Dieter »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 23:24:59 »
I am happy to go along with any of the suggestions, as I am not due to fly out of Nice until the following Sunday so all Rolf-Dieter and I need to do is return the Pagoda to Andy’s house probably the Saturday 6th Oct or when ever Rolf-Dieter needs to return if earlier.

Will go with what ever the majority are happy with. I have not been through that part of the world other than in and out of Toulouse on business some years back.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 21:19:48 »
To the Partisipants taking part after the Euro Event to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers,

Dear All,

Seven (7) cars (of the ten [10] Participants - scroll up to Reply #21 on the link below)  so far have expressed the following;-

Here ——> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27204.0

To question #1 - Six (6) of seven (7) agree to travel half the distance Sunday one (1) likes to get as close as possible to Bordeaux on Sunday September 30, 2018.

To Question #2 - Five (5) of the seven (7) like to get as close to Bordeaux, this being Perigord and the other two (2) named Montpellier, Toulouse or Carcassonne as the somewhat “mid point”

I am listing for reference the distances below.

Montpellier is 328 KM from Nice
Carcassonne is 469 KM from Nice
Toulouse is 560 KM from Nice
Les Eyzies around 700 KM from Nice (depending on route taken) as suggested by Jean-Michel
Périgord, France 735 KM from Nice

Now if it was my car I would also make it as close to Bordeaux since my car is truly a driver and I’ve driven long distances with her after taking some breaks. This would change question #2 from five cars out of seven to six cars out of seven.

On the other hand when you look at replies to Question #3 it looks like the majority prefers a shorter first day. Also when I look at replies to Question #9 (some of you have not responded yet) it appears that we can shift the visit to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers in Bordeaux from October 1 to October 2, 2018.

If we all can agree on a 3 day trip something like two (2) full day trip and on the third day we can then make our visit in the MORNING with lunch following the visit to Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers;-

Day 1, September 30 - Euro Event hotel to Montpellier (328 KM)
Day 2, October 1 - Montpellier to  Libourne (448 KM)
Day 3, October 2 - Libourne to Bordeaux (39 KM)

Note; another option for accommodations for October 1 would be Fronsac only 43 KM from Bordeaux. Accommodations are recommended outside of Bordeaux
We could then arrange the Paul & Boris Bracq's Les Ateliers visit in the MORNING of October 2, 2018 followed by lunch.

If the above Day 1 to Day 3 Itinerary is acceptable to everyone then I can inform Boris Bracq of the visit change from Oct 1 to the MORNING of October 2, 2018.

Please get back to me with your thoughts so we can finalize this step. Once we settle this we then can agree on Hotels and other stops we like to make along the way.

Thank you All ! Have a Great Weekend

Dieter

PS. This message also posted to each Partisipant by e-mail.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 00:23:55 by Rolf-Dieter »