Author Topic: Retrosound-Becker Radio Decal Kit  (Read 5074 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Retrosound-Becker Radio Decal Kit
« on: November 04, 2017, 18:39:15 »
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see if I could add a little something something to my Retrosound radio.

This was a "just for fun" project so purists and naysayers need not to comment  :D :D :D :D

I started by just creating and adding the AM/FM buttons and knob labels but that is where my art skills stopped  :D  I contacted fellow forum member Alpinaltd (created our decal set) and enlisted his help.  He was able to create the dial and top Becker sticker which worked out fantastic thanks to his talents  :D  Nice Job!

I had the dial sticker made from a clear static plastic from Fedex Office. Since it's clear you still can see the Retrosound LED if need be.  It's easily added or removed. The other decals are printed from a home inject printer on vinyl paper that I bought from Office Depot.

I will be posting the PDF file in the tech manual soon for anybody that wants to print them out themselves.  I also added Alpinaltd's snowflake decal to the same pdf sheet so those will be printed out also in the nice clear static plastic as a bonus!

I do have 4 extra dial stickers if anybody wants one.  The other decals are easily printed at home.  Just PM with address and I will mail.  US only. First come, first served.

The PDF file and instructions are located in the Premium section of the Tech Manual. Enjoy. :)

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/Start
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 20:38:33 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Retrosound/Becker Radio Dress Up Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 21:43:58 »
This was a "just for fun" project so purists and naysayers need not to comment  :D :D :D :D
I would fit into the category of purist but I will say that this is absolutely the best improvement I've ever seen to a Retrosound radio.   GOOD JOB !!!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:26 »
^ what Scoot said
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:49:42 »
Looks great to me, I have a retrosound that woild benefit from this treatment, here in UK.

Are you putting the dial decal on the PDF ?

Great work

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:14 »
I will be adding the complete PDF with instructions to the tech manual this Monday. I will notify everybody here in this thread when it's posted.

BTW,  the PDF will also include a "Becker Europa Stereo" decal also if you prefer that over the "Grand Prix" option. 😀
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:15:02 by mrfatboy »
Signal Red
4 Speed

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 15:52:19 »
The one aspect to me that looks like it might be able to improve is the dial scale.  (And I mean this as a suggestion, not criticism in any way)    It's too big of a space.   On a Becker radio you would have pinstripes above and to the sides of the window that has the dial scale.   I wonder if it would be possible to add the pinstripes to the image of the dial scale...   

Minor details - it seems that on everything except a Mexico the pinstrips are above the dial scale, on a Mexico they are below.  Also the AM FM vs. the M U seen to have AM FM on the right for later radios and on the left for earlier radios.  So on this radio it is where it should be.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 16:47:28 »
@scoot

I considered trying to add the pinstripes and make the dial smaller but didn't bother for several reasons.

The first being it would take a lot of trial and error to even attempt to get it right.  Alpinaltd was gracious enough to lend me his time as it was: )  He doesn't have a retrosound to make it easy for fine-tuning.  Everything was back and forth iteration with email.

I think it would have to be perfect as well and the decal perfectly applied for the pinstripes to look right. I think a line shift would be easily seen.

Also,  the way it's designed now allows the user to still see what's going on a bit in the LED display.

With that being said if somebody thinks they can improve on the decal set I whole heartily approve 👍👍👍

I would be happy to work with anybody that would like to attempt it.  I wish I had better adobe illustrator skills😀
Signal Red
4 Speed

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 16:50:40 »
I completely agree with you regarding the criticality  of the line spacing and that it would need to match the Retrosound portion both in spacing and in line color.    And if you want to see through to the RS display, then the lines might make that impossible.   I think you've started something great here and over time others may work on variations.  Again, GOOD JOB!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 22:15:05 »
I think you are on to something here. Finding a marriage between modern technology and the original appearance is a ways worth exploring. I love what you have come up with. An idea I have to expand on where you are going with this is to use an original Becker chrome face plate trim and create a custom plastic face plate with the Becker pinstripe and tuning bar graphic that is silk screened to the back side of the plastic. Then blackout the back of the plate except for where the Retrosound display is located. The position of the volume  and tuning knobs on the retrosound should be adjustable. You would have to confirm if the 5 push button would align with the opening in the Becker trim plate.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Retrosound-Becker Radio Decal Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 20:40:10 »
The PDF file and instructions are located in the Premium section of the Tech Manual.  Post any questions on printing or installing in this thread. Enjoy. :)

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/Start
Signal Red
4 Speed