Author Topic: air cleaner filter lid + heater return hose  (Read 3101 times)

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
air cleaner filter lid + heater return hose
« on: September 25, 2017, 00:55:50 »
1. OK this a bit embarrassing, but I simply cannot figure how to open up the air filter housing lid on my '69 280sl / 4spd LHD/ (factory AC/ alternator up top).

It has two latches at the rear, plus a lug that positions it at the front (I assume). I unlatched it, but it just will not shift. Posting a couple of pics to clarify. Can anyone suggest what I am missing? Thanks

2. Also, I am removing the alternator and want to replace the obviously past due heater return hose underneath it
- is this just a piece of straight heater hose from an auto parts store?
- if so what dimension?
- it does not look to need an MB molded pattern but if it is, I assume is it 1088310294...

Thanks again.
Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: air cleaner filter lid + heater return hose
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:33:12 »
I am traveling this week, so am unable to go out and make a direct check with my 280 SL. First off, you will need to pull off the large air hose to the intake manifold. Just remove the two large clamps, and with some careful prying and such, you can pull off the big corrugated air hose.

After that with the other hoses removed (for idle air) the top of the air cleaner will twist out of the front lug and then lift off.

There is one hose to the water pump that does have a molded set-up, one end is larger than the other. The other hoses by the alternator are standard cut to fit. As I wrote above, I am not at home, so am unable to look up the dimensions (others will be able to chime in on this).

Since you listed a part number are you using the parts book, or do you have access to the on-line, electronic parts catalog (EPC)?
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:09:08 »
Thanks.

Maybe the lid is just jammed: I did not want to force that air filter lid until I found out how it sits in place. I will be careful with that corrugated air hose - it looks pricey!

I do not have the parts book (just BBB and Haynes) but got the part number for the molded hose off Niemoller - but they also list plain 18mm ID coolant hose - so figured that might do...

I will replace the short bypass hose 127 203 00 82 under the thermostat whilst at it.
Charles

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 13:26:40 »
Have fun with the hose under the thermostat! That one is a bit of a bear to get in. I used a bit of light lubricant to help ease it back on the piping.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 03:44:00 »
To close this thread off:

I replaced the hose with the asymmetric hose, part number 111 831 00 94 (or 110 831 09 94), with one end 18mm ID the other 22mm ID.

I did get the air filter lid off - it was a well stuck rim seal, which I have replaced as was torn.

I replaced the under-thermostat hose - yes it is a pain to reinstall thermostat housing and maneuver that hose, even with everything off the front of the engine!

Thanks for your help.
Charles

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Replacing hose under the thermostat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 08:26:42 »
Hi,
replacing the  hose under the thermostat is a really bloody job but a member of the German Pagoda forum (BMB) presented a trick to replace the hose under the thermostat which works fine, see attached picture.
...WRe