Author Topic: Replacing speedometer faceplate?  (Read 2931 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Replacing speedometer faceplate?
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:19:38 »
I would like to swap out my old scratched speedometer faceplate with a new one that I just bought.  Does anybody have experience in doing this?  Is this a DIY project or does it have to be done by professionals.

I have taken the glass of before to clean so that's not a problem but I'm more concerned about recalibration.  Any advice would be welcomed😀
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Replacing speedometer faceplate?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 14:23:13 »
I gave it to a professional.

The challenge seemed to be the hand, if I recall, and the "central" rivet - the plate is held by a pressed "collar" around the hand axis hole. You do not see this place once the hand is on and most of the area is covered by another plate that goes on top of the center part of the speedo, so even if you scratch it, you may get away with it. But my worry was damaging hand while trying to take it off the axis.

But it was me - for a better skilled person and perhaps with some tips on how to remove the hand safely - it may work.

Other point is - if you have the speedo out, maybe it is good to check it, lubricate it, clean it, replace the bulbs etc.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 13:21:26 »
i sent my tach, speedo and center cluster to palo alto speedo. 

they made any repairs needed, new glass and chrome.   
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:39:42 »
You might want to chat with Franz at Silver Star in Escondido. He has a source in the San Diego area that does work on the speedos. They replaced the gears on my 250 SL unit several years ago when it was squealing to beat the band. I would guess that changing the face plate would be in their scope of expertise.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor