Author Topic: Beginner - want to learn how to restore steering wheel  (Read 2243 times)

JK

Beginner - want to learn how to restore steering wheel
« on: July 12, 2017, 22:30:57 »
Hiya,

First of all I am an absolute beginner with cars, not a petrol head at all but my dream cars are always the 280SL, Pagoda, Gullwing style of classic cars. I absolute adore the design of the steering wheel and I have bought a Pagoda white leather steering wheel on eBay. I notice most of the Pagoda steering wheel photos on the internet is the Ivory white version but not the leather version. Does Pagoda come with white leather steering wheel at all? Is that genuine?

Also, I would like to learn how to restore these types of steering wheels. I notice there is a very detail technical webpage on the steering wheel on this website. Is that a good start? If not, can someone else point me to the right direction?

I would like to hang the steering wheel on my wall. Is there any info on how to do so?

Many thanks in advance
Joe 

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: Beginner - want to learn how to restore steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 23:50:18 »
Welcome  - A picture would be helpful.   I doubt that there was ever a leather steering wheel on a pagoda but you may have something else that is rare and desirable and someone may have an original one you can trade.

There is a real art to restoring steering wheels and I have seen some that look like worse than when they started and some that were absolutely perfect.   Check the archives and you should find some posts about restoring steering wheels. 

Maybe your search for a steering wheel from a pagoda will net you a barn find of epic proportions.  I know of one individual in "my other car club" who expressed interest in his father's friend's cool old car sitting derelict behind the garage and the elderly gentleman gave it to him.  Didn't want to sell if because he didn't want strangers coming to his house but he gave it away.   I gave him some parts as well just to get rid of them.  It wasn't a Pagoda but it was cool - 1964 Jaguar MKII I think.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!