Author Topic: Water in 3 Locations  (Read 3663 times)

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
Water in 3 Locations
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:40:20 »
Yesterday while driving I got caught in a heavy rain storm for 3 hours, so bad people were pulling off the side of the road and driving with hazard (emergency) lights on. Being in the middle of nowhere to take cover,  kept driving slowly and noticed water entering the car.

First place water was entering in significant amounts was under the glove box, to the point the carpet mat was fully saturated.  I kept seeing drops and stream just pouring right down approximatly in the middle area of the glove box.  Second place I noticed water was when I felt my feet getting wet, water entering under the drivers side, under dash area, this was not nearly as much as what was entering via glove box, but enough where i had to take my shoes and socks off and turn on the heat to keep air circulating. 

After 3 hrs the rain stopped, I cleaned up what I could and openned the trunk. Having just replaced the trunk seal 3 days ago, I noticed a small amount of water opposite the spare tire, drivers side.  I have had previous problems with water entering in this area, and atributed it to a poorly installed trunk seal 5 years ago, thus getting the new trunk seal. Even with the new trunk seal, I'm getting little water, but nowhere near as much as with the the previous seal.  I put the the top down, put all the wet items, on the seat, parcel shelf, and drove for 4 hours on the highway to dry out everything, by the time I got home the wet carpet areas (and my shoes and socks) where completely dry.

Anyone have similar issue with water entering under the glove box, drivers side and trunk as described?

Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Water in 3 Locations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:06 »
Sounds like the drain tubes for the scuttle box. Common problem fixed by installing new tubes.

Leak in the trunk could be around the 230SL insignia.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 14:25:11 »

I just replaced my under dash drain hoses with this tubing recommended by Dave Gallon.  Then used gemi/norma hose clamps.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-neoprene-rubber-tubing/=17y53jg

I also just happened to see this for sale on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250858856269
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 14:34:13 »
Hi Alex

1 Have you cleaned out the drain holes and tubes in the corners of the scuttle box, if these are blocked the scuttle fills the heater section with water which then overflows into the car, (ask my wife how we know this.....) have a look in the technical manual under heater "drains"
2 What is the condition of your soft top box cover seal, and the drain holes in the forward corners of the soft top box, water can collect here and then run into the "trunk"

Keep paddling

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 14:38:52 »
Here is a link to my clean out of the intake vent area.  Many mice and fluff...

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15054.msg103730#msg103730
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 13:35:38 »
Alex,
Probably the wiper shafts are leaking?
Best to do some research and taking apart the cowl vent cover and wipers to investigate.
Was the rain all over the engine bay?  Maybe a rubber gasket there is open/split or torn?

Trunk area, check the taillight seal, very common water leak.
Walter

Nivle838

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 15:24:39 »
Just received my car... same situation like you.. HEAVY RAIN!

Passenger side is like raining water , and my legs was all wet.

When i check the Cowl Vent... its covered...

Wondering if there is drain hose like its mentioned here.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 00:49:16 »
All these replies are right on target. If the car is new to either of you wet-leggers, you may want to cross your fingers and have a close look at your floor corners. Meaning, this moisture may have been coming in for some time. Ask me how I know... actually don't but: my experience was the reverse. I noticed a long time ago I had floor rust issues. I attributed the rot to the car living in Holland until it was a teenager. I always garaged the car here in California and rarely let it get wet. One day, however, I got caught in a deluge (you might know the song) -- and in came mucho water... I traced it to the cowl vent drain tubes behind the dash (both were essentially in tatters)...

J
James
63 230SL