Author Topic: Seat Back Carpet  (Read 2680 times)

BigLou

• Junior Level
  • USA, LA, New Orleans
Seat Back Carpet
« on: June 19, 2017, 21:06:01 »
I post this with apologies, because I know the info is on the site, but I cannot find it. The glue that holds the carpet inserts to my seat backs has failed. What's the best way to reattach the carpet? Thanks.
1969 280SL 4-sp manual
Light ivory (670)
Cognac M-B Tex (140)
U.S. version delivered by
M-B of Hollywood

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
Re: Seat Back Carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:45 »
Hi,

A good contact glue intended for automotive use and thus able to resist high temperatures should do the job. Either in spray or brush on version.
Würth has a spray version that is intended for this type of use, the extra strong version is what I've used with good results so far. A bit expensive but probably worth it.
My Pro upholstry guy never uses anything but brush on glue, but I find it easier to use spray for gluing carpets. (use according to instructions: apply to both sides, let dry so it doesnt stick when touching, then join the surfaces.)
I am just surprised to hear that the carpets came off the insert boards.
I have never been able to remove the old original carpet from the seat back inserts
without destroying the boards, they are just that impossible to get the carpet pieces off the boards.
I always ended up having  to cut new boards for this.

Hans

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

BigLou

• Junior Level
  • USA, LA, New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 16:48:31 »
Hi Hans. Very helpful. Won't it be easier to glue the carpet back to the board if I remove the board? How would I do that? Thanks again. BigLou
1969 280SL 4-sp manual
Light ivory (670)
Cognac M-B Tex (140)
U.S. version delivered by
M-B of Hollywood

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 20:21:28 »
Please really wait as many minutes (or until the applied glue is touch-dry) as the glue leaflet says before joining the surfaces! Usually you put glue on both surfaces. Then: you may have just one try!! :)

If I remember correctly there may be screws at the bottom of the back panel. On the sides and on the top it just slides out from under the seat upholstery. That is what I had anyway... I also remember that that panel in one of the seats came off with quite some effort and I had to be careful not to damage the leather. If you have to bend the panel be careful not to damage the ventilation "grills". I removed my panels without taking the seats out of the car, but not sure if you can always do that.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class